Like, NJTroutbum, I have purchased the Fishpond Blue River pack and really like it. I decided that I was carrying way too much stuff with me with other packs and never used most of it plus I studied how many times I would need anything out of a pack while fishing and decided that I seldom got into the pack for anything except a fly box when I wanted to change flies. I dislike a chest pack because it was always in my way when casting or it would obstruct my vision when wading/walking. I wear the Fishpond Blue River pack over one shoulder and it hangs off the opposite side under my arm. It has the waist belt which takes the weight of the pack off my shoulder. When fishing, I slide the pack to the rear where it is out of my way for casting and it does not obstruct my vision. When I do need something from it, I just slide it around to the side or front to gain access to it. I know this does not answer your question, but, it is what I found works best for me. For me, the backpack system would enable me to carry even more stuff I would not use while fly fishing and just add more weight to carry around.