+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading Boots

Post Wading Boots

I am planning on buying a new pair of wading boots this spring and I am looking at the new rubber soles instead of the felt. My question is should I consider the studs or not? Any advice? What are the upside and downside of using studs. I fish mainly for trout in limestone and freestone mountain streams where wading can be challenging because of slippery rocks.

The main bad thing about studs is that you'll probably never be able to wear your boots in a boat with them in.

I have a pair of the Simms Vibram soles, and I bought the studs at the same time. However, I haven't found a need for the studs when I've been wading.

In fact the studs still sit in their original packaging.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I have the simms freestones with the vibram soles,and absolutely love mine. I never fish out of a boat so I went with the studs for mine. If you are going to fish strictly in a river or stream than I reccomend the studs.

From your profile I see that you live in PA. Has your state outlawed or planning to outlaw felt soles? And are you planning a trip to one of the states that has? If not then I would stick to felt. Especially if you only fish one particular water shed. If rock snot is a problem in your area, then you might want to consider studded felt and be sure to clean your boots after each use.

After reading several articles and listening to Tom Rosenbauer's podcast(07/31/09), it seems that none of the new rubber soles are as good as felt.

Just my 2 cents.............Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If the rocks on our streams get slimy, the studs help quite a bit. I use the simms with vibram soles (1 season so far) and use the studs.

I used to put studs on my felt soles to help while walking on trails and logs and snow, but maybe they are less needed now. Well, ... for walking along bare logs, they are a really help.

If you get in someones boat, they may not like you too much though.

The Vibrams soles seem to be 90% as effective as felt on bare wet rocks and probably 80% as effective as felt on slipper rocks. On some runs, NO soles are any help. Last summer on the 43a, we were three ... one felt, one felt studs and me with Vibram and studs, ... none of us could walk properly!

After a long day (or 4 or 5), the "rubber" soles are ice 'cause the boots are not a heavy while walking up and down trails and dry beaches. They also dry faster and work well in mud and snow!

edit: also, if you only fish one place, felt is probably a better way to go. You can always "treat" your boots by freezing them over night before visiting another watershed.

I don't think that I'll be going back to felt, 'cept for some really tough situations (I still have my chota felt with studs as a pair of backups).
    Last edited by fcch; 01-06-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Christopher Chin

I like the rubber soles with studs, don't slip near as much on the slimy rocks. If you are in somebody's boat, just take a piece of carpet to put your feet on. Or get Korkers and change the soles for conditions.

" fish mainly for trout in limestone and freestone mountain streams where wading can be challenging because of slippery rocks."

Owlman, unless these new rubber boots that are being talked about are made of something different that I don't know about, or the streams in your area are alot different from the limestone streams here in va. I would in no way use anything other than felt, yes rubber boots are good for snow, sand, mud, crossing logs and yes the snot rocks, but as a rule, 90% of what you will encounter, you will be much safer with felt, rubber boots means one step and out of control fall with no way no get a footing, felt isn't perfect, but to me and my attemps and watching all others, rubber is "Danger" rubber on wet rocks is like trying to walk on ice, if it wasn't I would be using them all the time, cost alot less and you can get them at almost any wal-mart. i wouldn't be taking the time to type all this out if i hadn't seen more than one person have a very unpleasent fishing day of just trying to take another step with out falling, or, take a very bad fall...
    Now if these new rubber boots are made of some kind of new rubber sole that I don't know about then i'v waisted my time typing all of this, but I could learn something new...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Studa can slip on rocks
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Supposedly, the new rubber materials that Simms and others are using is different than what we are all used too. It's supposed to be a compound that grips better, along with the tread patterns offered. As much as I like felt and agree totally that it is much safer for wading, it does have some serious drawbacks in the winter, and the flyfishing community better get used to the change to rubber. It sounds like all or most boot manufacturers will be going strictly to rubber due to concerns over invasive species. I know, and you don't need to remind me, that the felt soles on boots aren't the only contributing factor to transport of invasive species, but the boot manufacturers will change the face of what types of boots we wear due to this global concern. Not saying I like it, or completely agree, just that it's here and we're seeing the reaction by the manufacturers already. My family got me a new pair of boots for Christmas, and they have the new rubber soles. Haven't had the chance to wear them yet, so I can't speak to how well they work in areas I fish. Anyway, the tide is changing, whether we like it or not, so brace yourselves...

Here is something I found regarding Simms' philosophy for changes in wading boots:

"ECO-CONSCIOUS DESIGN FOR RESPONSIBLE ANGLERS. Invasive species such as mud snails and didymo have become a growing threat to the health of trout populations and aquatic ecosystems throughout the world. And, unfortunately, anglers have played a part in the spread, unintentionally transporting them among different watersheds on their wading boots and other fishing gear. The problem is now well-known in the fishing community and at Simms, they’ve taken the matter to heart. That’s why they’ve introduced their new CleanStream™ design. CleanStream™ is a design philosophy that runs through their line of wading boots. It doesn’t refer to any specific product or feature. Rather, it describes a combination of features they employ to assist anglers in doing their part to prevent the spread of invasive species. Products with the CleanStream™ design feature materials that are more resistant to “hitchhiking” organisms and have less exposed stitching, fewer ridges and pockets that could potentially hide stowaways. In addition to making fishing gear easier to clean, Simms encourages all anglers to inspect and clean their gear after every outing to help prevent the spread of ANS."

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 01-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Wow, this is great feedback. Thanks everybody for your input, your giving me much to think about. I guess my main interest in going to the new rubber sole over felt is my concern about invasive species such as "rock snot". I fish mostly in PA, but I do get into different watersheds in various parts of the state and I want to act responsibily in helping minimize the spread of this kind of stuff. My trusty old boots that I want to retire to back up status are felt and have served me well. I have wondered if studs with the felt soles would be an advantage. I am hearing that many of you who have the vibram soles really like them. Thanks again for helping me think this through. Any other thoughts or ideas? Keep the coming!

+ Reply to Thread