+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod Shipping Rip-Off

Default Rod Shipping Rip-Off

I just got home from Mail Boxes Etc. I hope my anger doesn't cloud my sensability. Last summer I shipped a rod to the San Diego area from Eastern Washington through Mail Boxes Etc. and I think it cost $20 or so. Now I want to ship a rod to Calgary and the same outfit (MBE) wants $47 not including insurance. You can't tell me that the cost of customs inspections in $27 per parcel. I'm going to the US Post Office tomorrow to see what they have to say. I feel sorry for the fellow that wants to buy the rod. He has to wait for the rod because of Middle-Man Capitalism. Any suggestions short of making the drive myself?

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

offering just my opinion here, but the post office is the only way to go for shipping. i shipped a reel to canada recently and it cost me around $10 if i remember right. can't be beat for domestic shipping either. priority mail with a delivery confirmation is very competitve with the other shipping services. faster too and no i am not a postal employee.

[This message has been edited by dpenrod (edited 26 January 2006).]

Hey Lotech,

Don't stress, I've recently shipped a total of four rods to Calgary, Alberta Canada, one just today to FAOL Member, nickOdanger.

All the rods were shipped USPS Air Priority with the appropriate customs forms filled out, and they all cost no more than $16 to ship.

If you have any questions, or would like help with the Custom's forms, please email me and give me your phone # and I'll call you to help you out.

Terry
    akalooker
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

I do a fair bit of buying & selling on eBay. I agree the USPS is the only way to go.

One thing you might try if you want to stay with UPS is not using one of the All-in-one shops like MBE. Check web for the nearest UPS office. Rates at the UPS office are much lower than the franchises. Our Office Depot is a UPS office store and charges the same as going into the "big city" of Paducah for the UPS office. Of course you don't get all the fancy wrap it and pack it services.

Just a thought.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Hi Lotech,

I live in Canada and I buy quite a bit of stuff of E-Bay and I find the easiest and quickest way to receive things from the USA is by just regular mail. I had bought a fly rod on E-Bay from California and it was delivered to Prince Edward Island, Canada in 6 business days. I find if you put insurance on the item with a tracking number it will get stuck in customs and cost you more money and it will take a week longer to get the item. I will apoligize to anybody that works for UPS before I say this. I had bought an item on E-Bay for $24.00 and when the item was delivered by UPS I was charged $49.50 for custom charges and other fees that I cannot remember at this time. All I know is, I will never bid on anything that has UPS delivery only.

My 2 cents worth,
    Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

One note of caution. While the USPS is reasonable in their rates, they assume zero responsibility for any damage or loss of a shipment if insurance has not been purchased. You would be very wise to purchase the appropriate amount of insurance on any USPS shipment. They ran over a blank I purchased from another builder destroying it and assumed no responsibility. Just a word to the wise.

Jim Smith

im in P.E.I also, and just recieved two rod blanks, with components, from michigan. cost him $7.00 to post it,(it might help if you tag it as a gift), and i paid $7.03 for customs handling.....USPS

Thanks all. My trip to the USPS tomorrow looks like it might be the right step.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Joe,
    Two years ago, I won (at a real nice price), an Ebay auction for a new custom made fly tying station that was gifted to a man in Washington State (he doesn't tie). He charged a flat $10.00 for shipping. He emailed me that he had it packed & shipped through one of those places. His email to me said the shipping was $34.00 HIGHER than he anticipated, and he would check before he did that again, chalking it up to experience. Of course, I sent him a check for the difference, WITH a note reminding him to use USPS next time. We agreed that you would expect anupcharge as compared to USPS prices, but WOW!!...I wonder how those places stay in business. I wouldn't think their repeat business is much. I would guess folks shipping rods (2 pc) might use them as the boxes can be almost impossible to find.
    Mike
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread