I went to college in Las Cruces and used to fish southern NM a lot. One of my favorite trips was to the Gila river. If you head for the Gila hot springs you will cross the gila river several miles before you get to the springs. And a few miles south of the river crossing is a trail called the alum mt. trail. It drops down into the gila river canyon. Hike down the trail and then a couple of miles downstream and you will be in some of the best smallmouth and channel catfish fishing in NM. The water still has some trout in this area but they thin out quickly as you go downstream due to water temp. I used to catch lots of 2 to 4 lg smallmouth and channel cats up to 20 lbs. the further downstream you get the fewer other people you will meet. (You rarely meet anyone anyway) You can also begin your hike at the river crossing and avoid the alum mt descent. this would add about 2 to 3 miles to your hike. I've always wanted to take a kayak through the entire canyon- bet you would catch some real trophies. The take out would be about 30 miles downstream (I can't remember the name of the campground though) . There are also a couple of lakes in the Gila area that are stocked with trout.