Don's DVD is great, really covers everything except winding hackle. My tutorial on winging can be found here: http://traditionalflies.com/index.php?wingingwetflies

Also take a look at the Ibis and White tutorial on my site which covers both Don's hackling method and the more common winding of a hackle collar.

Your fly looks fine to me by the way.

There is no such thing as a matched pair of feathers. The exact same secondary quill feather from each wing on a same bird will be markedly different. What you need to do is match the slips up the best you can. Take them from around the same point on the feather vertically. "Hump" them as necessary. MAKE them match.

Helen Shaw's book is good, but doesn't help too much with winging. That said, you should have it.

There are few absolutes with wet flies, regarding either wing width or wing length or hackle length or even how the wings set, tips together or apart, tips up or down. I don't remember wet flies with wing tips apart, or tails apart, so I don't tie many of my flies that way. Don apparently does. His way may fish better, seems logical to me. Virtually no European wet flies are tied tips apart. Ray Bergman's flies and Helen Shaw's flies are quite different, right down to the hackle length. I would imagine differences were even greater regionally during the heyday of the wet fly. We can only see what a few books tell us. It's interesting to note that both Bergman and Shaw tied wet flies both ways, tips together or tips apart, depending. Depending on what you ask? I don't know. Maybe if the quill slips didn't match well they did them tips apart. Or perhaps it was historical. For instance, Henry P. Wells, inventor of the Parmachene Belle liked them tips apart, for the action.

I could go on and on, and usually do. Keep up the good work!
Eric