+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ostrich Bodies...Help?

Hybrid View

Default Ostrich Bodies...Help?

I've been tying a version of these:

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...bead-head.aspx

For a couple years using Chennille for the body but they are intended to be tied using Ostrich herl yet I can't get it to cooperate.

Any suggestions?...tried it like Peacock, wrapping several strands...it just comes out clunky looking.

If I was going to tie that pattern, I'd take about 5 or 6 herls, tie them in by the tips, twist them together and wrap.

For smaller segments on a fly you can wrap a single herl. If you look closely the fuzz is only on one edge of the herl. Wrap with the bare edge forward, so it's covered by the fuzzy edge of the next wrap.

OK, I tried twisting a couple like Peacock herl but will try 5 or 6 like you say and pay attention to the wraps.

I will eventually just swing by the shop and ask the Jim about them as he developed the fly but I just don't "need" anything right now and won't go in without buying something...even if it's just a little.

Normand Guest

take a look at your ostrich herl. its like many feathers and has a convex and concave side to them. i think you will want to wrap the ostrich herl with the stem as the leading edge with the herl flues pointing to the bend of the hook

http://www.artflies.com/sec_engelsk/...g_herlbutt.htm

http://www.invictaflies.us/Wet%20Fli...%20drummer.htm
    Last edited by Normand; 01-03-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Wow, thanks Normand! You must have had to dig in pretty deep to find those articles, I haven't found much of anything on using the material.

Anyhow, here is what I found...

Tie in by the thicker end of the shaft using 5 pieces for a #8 or 4 pieces for a #4, clip the thin edges together with a hackle plier and begin twisting until the whole deal is reduced in length by 10-15%...you'll see the fuzz rising.

I use a rotary vice so I simply tied off and rotated the "rope" up the hook shank...it sort of picks it's own way along and fills in nicely.

BTW, if anyone has not tried this fly...it is killer.

I have caught my bigest Smallmouth ever on one tied black over black and have caught just about every other warm water species with it and imagine in smaller sizes it would work for Trout as well.

I made up a batch and weighted them prety good as they are KILLER Carp flies.

Also, using the Ostrich as opposed to Chennille really "seems" to make a difference...that Ostrich really pulsates in the water.

Blog Entries

I need to make some of those flies like you originally showed...I don't have ostrich herl, and am not sure who carries good ones for this type of fly. If anyone knows, holler at me. I have ostrich longer pieces...but wouldn't call it herl. I also have some emu somebody gave me, and it might work for a small fly.

+ Reply to Thread