+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STUFF - Ladyfisher - January 04, 2009

Blog Entries

Default STUFF - Ladyfisher - January 04, 2009

STUFF

Today was New Year's Day and we did the deed. We took down the Christmas tree, the greens and lights around the front door, the greens over the fireplace and brought the white wire tree in from the back yard. The Christmas cards are gathered up for a last fond look before they are put away.
    Last edited by rtidd; 01-04-2010 at 03:11 AM.

2. Default

Too much stuff is an age old problem De. Here in Canada we have an additional civic holiday the day after Christmas, called Boxing Day. Boxing Day is a hold-over from our British roots. Boxing Day (few people today know the reason for it and fewer practice it) as the tradition goes, is the day the wealthy upper class take all of last years stuff and box it for the church to distribute among the needy.

My wife and I do this many times a year. The problem is; as fast as we give it away our closets refill some 40, some 60, some 100 fold.

The lords blessing on you and your family for the coming year.

Default Stuff

Material items are not the only things that we keep, there are the emotional items also. The unrighted wrongs that are never forgot, that you carry around with you every day of your life. They weigh you down, and make your days less enjoyable.

"Forgive and Forget", easy to say, but difficult to do.

If you are carrying a pass transgression done by someone against you, leave it on the edge of the "Road of Life". By lightening your load, your journey will be more enjoyable. Easy to say, difficult to do sometimes, but it is not impossible.

For my material things, I have a 3 year rule, if I have not used the item in 3 years, it goes on the list of things to pass on to someone who has a use for it.

I had a Pontiac Transport that needed a rebuilt transmission, but the cost was too much for a vehicle that was 10 years old. I took good care of the vehicles maintenance, but it was time to get another vehicle.So I gave it to my brother-in-law, who does transmission repairs, he repaired the transmission, and now he has a reliable vehicle for picking up his parts for his transmission jobs.

I had a band-saw, that sat in the basement, collecting dust. My friend Casey, retired and was building a wood working shop. I saw that he did not have a band saw. Casey told me he was saving up to buy one. I gave it to him on permanent loan (I do not sell things to friends), if I ever need to use a band-saw, I know where mine is.

Sometimes I put things out on the curb, with a "FREE" sign, and it is gone in less than a hours time. When we got rid of the swing set that our daughters outgrew, it was placed at the curb. It was gone in 15 minutes.

If I have books that I do not wish to keep, I give them to the local library. It is up to them to either keep them, or place the books in their yearly book sale (helping to purchase more books for the library).

Old clothes & shoes (3 year rule) go to Goodwill.

Of course there is the "Annual Spring Garage Sale", it is somewhat humorous that the garage is rarely ever for sale.

We leave this world the way we came, with nothing.....so do not let stuff weigh you down while you are here.

~Parnelli

Your mentioning, "I'm putting my affairs in order and I don't have any use for these." just hit me. Our daughter was down for the week end with her husband, and when they left yesterday, they had my old (100 yrs +) desk, sewing tables (the old ones from next to the rocking chair that held all the hand sewing), and cedar chest all of which I inherited from my mother in law, that she'd inherited from her sister. I hope I don't "know something" that I don't know!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Except for keepsake items that we want to pass down to the kids, my wife and I decided some years back that if we haven't used or worn it within the past two years, we don't need it. So out it goes. And we still have allot of stuff.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

I have a storage shed full of stuff that I am paying $60 a month to rent. funny thing is I plan on having a garage sale and getting rid of it this summer, I wont make up the money in the garage sale that I have paid to keep it.
    but there are a few things I need mixed in so I Have to sort it and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Eric that last line sounds so familiar that my brothers neighbor gave him a wooden disc with TO IT painted on both sides.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

lol in the spring it will be easier to sort as I will have a whole driveway to put it out on.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

yeah, good time of year to get rid of more stuff...
    I have found less stuff is really alot better, makes life simpler, even on the water...
    Last edited by Grubb; 01-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

The best thing that ever happened to me was that I got married and my dear wife helped me with my "stuff". I have learned over time what is essential "stuff" and what is non-essential "stuff" and we have cut down the storage boxes considerably. Still, there are those items that I just know I'm going to get around to using someday, or might even need the next time I need it.
    Thanks for the great article.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread