+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STILLWATER FISHING METHODS AND STRATEGIES - Eye of the Guide - January 04, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default STILLWATER FISHING METHODS AND STRATEGIES - Eye of the Guide - January 04, 2010

STILLWATER FISHING METHODS AND STRATEGIES

When fishing stillwaters the angler must take the knowledge of the stillwater being fished, the knowledge of the available food forms, and the knowledge of how the trout will feed on these food forms and mix them all together and decide on the methods that will be used to fish on the stillwater.

Thanks a TON Tom. Very useful information. As my wading abilities have all but completely deteriorated I'll be doing 95% of my fishing from a float tube or jon boat. I was surprised to learn about the 4-5 foot leader when using a sink tip or full sink line. Thanks again!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

excellent article on stillwater fishing. If one has never fished stillwater and been productive this article will help them a lot.

One of my favorite still waters has very good fishing in the shallower areas. Most of the time, in fact, I work my way out to where I want to fish from, and I'm able to just fish from there as cruising fish. I fish on a point and as the water recedes through the summer, I can keep going more and more out. (This lake will drop 10' from mid-July through late August).

One key once you hit the water though, is to walk very slowly and disturb as little mud as possible. It's hard at times, but I've had fish cruise to within 8 feet of me feeding on caddis moths without being spooked.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Thanks for the great article. I became hooked on stillwater fishing this past year on Idaho's Henry's Lake and discovered the methods for fishing that water are as varied as the numbers of boats on the water on any given day - when it doesn't blow. My favorite is to use an intermediate line in water 3 to 8 feet deep and use a variety of hand retrieves - whichever seems to be working on that day. Biggest challenge for stillwater seems to be locating the fish, same as on any other type of water I guess. Thanks for the good stuff.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread