+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: knots?

Default knots?

I plan on tying 5x and 6x tippet material to a 9' tapered leader that is 5x (5x to 5x and 6x to 5x), should i use a nail knot, a blood knot, or is there another that is better to join them?

Garb, the surgeons knot has served me well when connecting tippet to leader.

Normand Guest

the double surgeons knot has always been good to me.

blood knot in that size tippet is way too hard for me to tie.

The surgeons knot has never failed me.

Double surgeons knot here, too.

Double surgons knot for me as well. Fast and easy to tie, even with cold, wet hands and holds well.

Jim smith

Quote Originally Posted by garb72 View Post
    I plan on tying 5x and 6x tippet material to a 9' tapered leader that is 5x (5x to 5x and 6x to 5x), should i use a nail knot, a blood knot, or is there another that is better to join them?
    Surgeons knots are easier for many people to tie, but I always use blood knots because they give a straight connection between each leader section. I've tied so many blood knots over the years that I don't have a problem tying them quickly (most of the time!).

A nail knot won't work at all for this.
    Last edited by John Rhoades; 01-02-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Surgeons Knot

garb72,

I have been using a double surgeons knot for many years when tying mono tippet to a mono leader. Once I started using only fluorocarbon tippet, I switched to what I call a triple surgeons knot. I use a Cinch Tie Knot Tying Tool, sold by Orvis, Cabela?s and others, and it works great for that knot. The surgeons knot is a great knot to use for leader to tippet connections.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Double surgeons here too. Very easy to tie with cold fingers.

TB

For the past 2 years, I've been using what amounts to a double Uni knot that I tie using the Tie-Fast tool.

Take the tool, put your leader and tippet together, tie a "nail knot" on one tag, turn it around, tie a "nail" know on the other, moistne the lines and slide the two knots together.

I did some puerly unscientific tests with this knot against a double surgeon's knot and a blood knot (actually several examples of each knot to be sure I didn't eiter tie one "super knot" or one "really bad" knot.

I first tried two leader tippet sections one with the test knot (double knot tied with the tie fast tool) and the control knot (either a blood knot or a double surgeon's). I tied the end of the tipet to a hook, linked the two hooks together and pulled slowly on each line to see which one broke first. The problem I ran into was they almost always broke at the hook first (taught me something about my knots at the hook end but more on that in another thread).

So, I ended up rigging a way to wrap the tippets around a dow pin and then pull on the leader ends. This worked well as it tested the knots against each other.

What I found was the "double nail knot" (glorified uni knot from what I can tell) was stronger then the blood knot in almost all tests. The "double nail knot" was stronger than the Double Surgeon's knot in 7 of my 10 tests and the Double Surgeon's knot was better in the other 3.

There could have been other stress factors on the lines, could be I was getting sloppy tying knots, could be a lot of things, but when out on a stream or a lake, one cannot control varibles either so I thought this was a realistic, if not scientific test.

For me, the bonus of the "knot too" knot is I can tie it in my sleep, with cold fingers, and in about half the time it takes me to tie a surgeon's knot and I can tie three of these in the time it takes me to tie one blood knot.

Also, this knot ends up looking like a blood knot, slides through the guides well and keeps the lines straight.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread