+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kip tails

Hybrid View

Default Kip tails

How man of you use Kip tails? I just got done after tying up a few flies with them as i really like using it. Nothing fancy just some Sockeye flies. It does tie easier than bucktail. It has a better look to it as well!

I use them for winging a lot of attractor dries and for small saltwater flies; great stuff. Still like bucktail, though. Both materials have their place.

Regards,
    Scott

Default Other uses

I have used them in colors other than white for winging on midges and emergers and also for easy to see para posts.

Smile

I also like calf tail even for small streamers. (they are not kip tails anymore.)
    For use in longer sections I have found a little trick if you are confronted with too much curving in the fibers. After you clip a section free pinch it between your thumb and index finger and just roll it as you may have seen pictures of guys rolling cigarettes. When you do this the curved fibers will roll individually and sort of average out bending against each other making a neater bundle.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    (they are not kip tails anymore.)
    when did that happen

I am choosy in picking out tails to buy. I have found some that were so kinky that you could not use them.

I guess much of it is just personal preferences, but I think the kinky hairs give some wings / posts on flies a fantastic look.
    Mark 1:17

Quote Originally Posted by fly.tyer View Post
    I am choosy in picking out tails to buy. I have found some that were so kinky that you could not use them.

I like them fairly straight when used for winging dries (makes it easier to stack), but I like the kinkier hair for stuff like Crazy Charlies. Calf tail is one thing I have to see in person before I'll buy it.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Sockeyeguy,

I use it for winging and tailing some of the Wulffs that I tie. Like above, bucktail also has its place, and I use it as well.

Ray, thanks for the tip. I think that you have mentioned that in the past, but I had forgotten it. Hopefully the next time on Wulffs I will remember the tip. As it is now, I spend a bit of time picking out the wild hairs and throwing them away on each fly I stack the calf tail for.

Regards,

Gandolf

Hi Normand,
    Many years ago I was told the original name of kip tails came about when they were from small African deer-like animals and that this is no longer the case. They were now from a small calf that was raised for veal cutlets. These little guys also provide us with the small short white body hair that we use for wing posts. I can't prove this but it was what I was told.
    Now, looking it up in the dictionary I'm noting that a "kip" is any small calf-like animal.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 01-03-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Updated info.

+ Reply to Thread