+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vises

Hybrid View

Default Vises

What is your favorite vise. i am looking at getting a vise and was looking at the renzetti CAM traveler.anyone use this vise

I have a cam traveler. It's a very nice vise. Mine is the clamp model. It works very well. The rotary action is very smooth.It's going to be my travel vise.

What size flies do you tie? If you do alot of real small flies a fixed vise may be better for access to the back of the bend.

TB

I have a Traveller with the old jaws. Love the vise; cam jaws would be nice but wouldn't improve my tying and at this point I can think of better ways to spend $75.00. You should try it before you buy, but I think you will be happy.

Regards,
    Scott

I dont tie smaller than size 16 usually. I like to tie steelhead flies. I went to a friend of my grandpas house and he ties commercially and does a lot of demos and has the dyna king barracuda. i was looking at that and liked it but it was pricey

Normand Guest

i use an original renzetti traveler and changed out the original head with the cam lever head. dont see the need for anything else.

I have the original Traveler with the screw lock jaws. It's a good and very popular vise. I never saw the need to switch over to the cam jaws as the vise worked fine as is. I now use an HMH Spartan since the more traditional design of this vise gives me better wing access for tying wet flies. Unless you are interested in true rotary tying, I think the HMH is a better vise. But you will do well with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by cdpaul View Post
    I dont tie smaller than size 16 usually. I like to tie steelhead flies. I went to a friend of my grandpas house and he ties commercially and does a lot of demos and has the dyna king barracuda. i was looking at that and liked it but it was pricey
    I use a Supreme. I tried a rotary vise when I purchased mine....and decided it didnt offer me a thing more

I have a renzetti presentation 2000, and a HMH spartan. I love both of them. The only con to the HMH is that if you want to tie flies in size 22 or smaller you have to change the jaws out. They are easy to change just an extra step. I don't have to do that with the Renzetti.

Smile

i have a Renzetti Traveler, a Peak Rotary and several old Thompsons. All of them I have set up with pedestal bases that I definitely prefer. All work well but I feel more comfortable using the Rensetti with smaller flies under size 12. I cannot comment on any long term durablity.

+ Reply to Thread