+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strike indicators in cold water

Hybrid View

Default Strike indicators in cold water

I was fishing in the coldest conditions I have tried to date, and I had problems with my Palsa indicators staying put. They were slipping down to my splitshot, and I had a good bit of weight on at one point and needed to use two indicators. I normally tear the second indicator in half and apply the halfs to each side of the first indicator, but they would not stick at all to each other so I had to connect it to the line next to the first. Anyone have any suggestions?

I use thingamabobbers when I use an indicator they stay put and they don't leave a sticky residue on the line or leader.

d

The easiest fix is to try another type of indicator.

I stopped using the Palsa kind cuz I didn't like the waste involved when adjusting for different depths. I use the ones that are a yarn puff above an o-ring, using a yarn color that is similar to a dead leaf for stealth reasons.

I haven't tried the thingamabobber strike indicators yet, but plan to this winter as I've heard some good things about them.

Check this link for a pretty neat way to attach the Thingamabobber and prevent slippage; see the pictures in response #18

http://forums.flyfisherman.com/forum...page-revisited

All those years my kids had braces and I didn't realize how valuable those little rubber bands really were.

Regards,
    Scott

i have started to use party balloons. 3 inch I think is the size. knot them to the leader. You can fill them to float any amount of weight. You can watch the weight jiggle the balloon the bottom. I think they are the most sensetive indicator I have used. $2.00 per 100 balloons and many colors. They don't ice up either. Try them if you don't like them give them to the kids.
    Sheldon

Corkys. I've used them when it was quite cold without any problems. Just slide them on your leader and anchor with a toothpick. You can move them up & down your leader to adjust depth & they will stay afloat with a fairly heavy weighted fly. And they don't cost very much.

Tim

Why don't you try fishing without them?

Just a thought.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Take two palsa indicators and stick them together, sticky side to sticky side, so you have a fat "8". Now make an overhand loop in the leader where you want the indicator to go (or if you have a loop to loop in the system put it between the loops). Put the indicator in the loop and tighten it over the narrow part.

I started a discussion an another board about indicators. I just wanted to see what others were using.

Since I first picked up a fly rod I used sticky indicators. I did this only because the guy who taught me how to fly fish used these. After moving back from the East Coast to my native Southwest I have been using yarn indicators and I love them.

They are very easy to put on and very easy to adjust and all it takes is a bit of floatant and they are good for a long time. I do know a guide in the area that uses water balloons. I have never tried this but I know they work well if done right or he would not be using the technique.

The thingamabobbers are something I might try here in the near future and I have already seen a good tip for non slip solutions using this indicator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0TjVdVLHjA
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

In Alaska, we fish with indicators and heavy weight (split shot) more than any other kind of fly fishing. I've used most kinds over the years and they all have advantages and disadvantages. I settled on yarn the last few years. But ... All the guides and pretty much most of the locals that use indicators have switched to thingamabobbers. I used them this fall for the first time and as goofy looking as they are, they seem the best choice to me. They cast better than most including yarn, require no maintainence, are easy to put on, stay in place, are easy to move, and are easy to remove and last for ever. The Kvichak River guides from two different lodges told me they put one on the leader and leave it there all season unless they have to change the leader. They said they wouldn't use anything else. I tried it and, well, they seem to work great. Your milage may vary.

+ Reply to Thread