+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tied up my first flies

Hybrid View

Default Tied up my first flies

Well for Christmas the wife got me a fly tieing starter kit. So tonight, she wanted to watch a chick flick, so I decided while she did that I would get to work on how to tie a fly.

I started off with some practice on how to use the whip finisher. After I was comfortable with that, I tied up the first three flies in the starter kit. (Going to also work on JC's fly tieing guide as well).

I'm sure I'll get better, but for now, I think these will do fine in some of my local waters.

Please be kind if you critique!

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I just started tying back in the spring and I wish my flies looked that good.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

They look just fine Paul! You're on your way.

Blog Entries

their fine looking good what kit is that the book that comes with the vice and everything? theirs some great fly tieing videos out their too that can help. but your doing well.

Nice flies for a start.
    You need to burn the chenille so it won't unwrap.

The flies are a good start. One thing that your book obviously didn't cover is the need to seal up that head cement jar whenever your not actually cementing a fly. Sooner rather than later an open jar will spill all over your tying materials and the book. This is especially true if there are children or pets in the same county as you are tying in.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hi Paul,

You are on the way!

The beetle is very nicely done, especially for just starting out, and I think most experienced tiers would be happy with it had it been one they tied last night. The others are fine and will definately catch fish.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Gandolf

Paul,

Welcome aboard. Nice job on three very credible flies that I'm sure will catch fish for you. Be careful as fly tying can become a very slippery slope to the poor house. Just remember that you don't "need" to have every new gadget or product that comes along. You can do 90+ percent of all your tying with the basic materials. Good job and keep them coming.

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Paul,

Welcome aboard. Nice job on three very credible flies that I'm sure will catch fish for you. Be careful as fly tying can become a very slippery slope to the poor house. Just remember that you don't "need" to have every new gadget or product that comes along. You can do 90+ percent of all your tying with the basic materials. Good job and keep them coming.

Jim Smith
    Also remember that "need" and "want" are two different things. I don't know about you, but with me, "want" almost always wins out over "need".

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Well we went to Casper today (2 hour drive), so I dropped into Sportsman warehouse to snag a few for tying items. I think I'm good to go for now... Hooks, I don't have a decent local resource. But for everything else I have good access. Especially fur for deer, elk, and moose.

Granted I know that will change once I get more experience and make my way through the various tutorials and patterns on this site and others.

But for now, quite pleased. Thanks for the comments.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread