I do not know when it all started, but somehow, we have all been misinformed that at Midnight on December 31st 2009, it will be the end of the first Decade of the 21st Century, and the start of the 2nd Decade of the
21st Century.

You read about in the Newspapers, and Magazines. You hear it on the Radio, and Television. It is also plastered on the Internet.

The 19th Century, was that time period that started at 12:00:01 AM on January 1st of 1801 and ended at Midnight on December 31st, 1900. That is why it is commonly referred to as the "19th Century", in History Books!

The 20th Century, was that that period from January 1st of 1901 and ended at Midnight on December 31st, 2000. But somehow, everybody started celebrating it at Midnight on December 31st, 1999, one year too early!

As for the Gregorian calendar, which is name for Pope Gregory XIII (13th) who signed a decree on February 24th, 1592: switching observed time from the previous "Julian Calendar" (name for Julius Caesar), correcting the leap year calculations.

In the same decree, New Years was switched from April 1st (Julian Calender which celebrated the Spring Equinox) to January 1st (Gregorian Calender), so that the start of the New Year would be part of the Catholic Church's "Christmas Season" which does last 12 days.

At the same time to correct for the miscalculations under the Julian Calender Leap Year dates, eleven days disappeared from the calendar. So what was originally April 1st in the Julian Calendar, became March 21st in the Gregorian Calendar. Which why "Spring" officially begins on March 21st, today (even if the snow is on the ground in Minnesota, and the lakes and streams are still frozen.

So do not be surprised if on March 21st, some of us will wish everyone a Happy New Year. As for me, I am just and Old April Fool, who knows better!
~Parnelli