+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New England Stripers

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyfly View Post
    ...we have at least 4-5 months before those big silver black striped beauties comes back ourways with some fresh lice, and an insatiable appetite.
    Being trapped by the great lakes, I have only had the gumption to try ocean fishing once. I went striper fishing with my brothers in the Long Island Sound. I had a great time. I even caught a pretty big one.

I understand the part about the appetite, but am confused by the term "fresh lice".

Can you elaborate on that? Is that a term of endearment for a food source? Do the fish commonly host a parasite?

Please pardon my ignorance,
    Glenn

dudley thanks for those! I have a couple of gurglers but havent' had much luck doing topwater with stripers. I usually find pockets of water from shore that drop 8 - 10 feet and fish the bottoms! Although I have got to fish for some on the flats!! But I like finding estuaries and bays! I think i just need to man up and get out in the dark and pop those gurglers!!

What is a deceiver flatwing? Just a flat wing in deceiver colors? Or just an elongated deceiver with the center feathers flattened?

B540Glenn, in New England people associate Sea Lice on Stripers to mean fresh fish coming from a southern migration. Now I am not a marine biologist, nor an old salt (just been fishing for stripers for a couple years now) but my understanding is that when Stripers come up from the south they pick up Sea Lice (actual black/brown parasite) that lives on their scales. When they get up here in our coastal waters (massachusetts) after a while the lice seas to fall off and dissappear. I remember reading once that the sea lice reference might actually come from Salmon fishing? Salmon from the ocean would pick up sea lice and as they moved into the freshwater, the sea lice would die. So if you caught a salmon with lice, it was fresh in from the ocean.

soooo basically, what I meant by fresh lice, is probably an incorrect reference to migratory stripers (not holdovers) that are just arriving to Massachusetts waters!!

Man just talkinga about these guys are getting me going!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

What is a deceiver flatwing? Just a flat wing in deceiver colors? Or just an elongated deceiver with the center feathers flattened?
    The tail feathers, instead of being tied vertically as on the Lefty's deceiver, are tied in horizontally per the flatwing instructions.

Here's a link for the snake fly
    I carry white ones for when the peanutbunker are in and fish a black snakefly as a slider in current at night

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/sbssnake_fly.htm
    Last edited by dudley; 12-30-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

that snake fly is awesome!! I stink at spinning dear hair but I will have to give that a shot!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyfly View Post
    ...when Stripers come up from the south they pick up Sea Lice (actual black/brown parasite) that lives on their scales...
    Thanks for the education.
    Glenn

If you hit the back bays and estuaries you will want to carry some shrimp and clam worm flies as well as the streamers mentioned.

GP's and Ruthless's tied in red, orange, white, or olive are good bets.

Drifting a team on a greased leader in the current is always a lot of fun.

As already mentioned Ray's flies are always a good bet any time of year.

Don't be afraid to try the really big flies as well when river herring, bunker, and squid are around.
    Your hooks sharp????

I was going to attempt some Skok's mushmouths as well, but I have really shy'd away from the bigger patterns! I will definitely find it in me to give em a shot this year!

I remember there was a fly on here, i believe posted by bonefishwhisperer. It had barbell eyes, and the hook point up like a clouser. but the shank was completely bare, and it had bucktail or some sort of material, coming from the eye upwards a 45 degree angle, covering the hook point. It looked like a bait fish feeding on the bottom. I can't find the post, picture, or name of the fly, but it looks killer!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

Clousers, Clousers, Clousers!!!

Clousers in chart and white, purple and black for the rocks, tan, copper and white for general use, Beadchain shrimp, 12" lavender and white herring for June on Joppa. Snake flies for night. Hard Bodied poppers for busting fish. White deceivers tied with white ostrich herl (movement) in 1/0 and smaller for fussy fish over sand. Other than that- what sogs said.

Charlie

Shakey while I am not going to offer any specific pattern I will suggest you add at least a couple of squid flies to your fly wallet. My biggest striper taken in the monomoy rips beggining of July last year was on a squid fly. That fish was in the 20lb range. Squid flies have been responsible for my largest bluefish on the fly too.

+ Reply to Thread