+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Information, Look on FAOL First!

Quote from Bass_Bug:
    "Here's an example when FAOL doesn't have the right information: Someone new to fly tying asks "What's a good place for beginner information of fly tying?" (or something to that effect)

To direct them to the 'Beginners tying articles' is like sending someone to the library and tell them to search the micro-films/fiche for old magazines and don't use the Internet for the video content.

There are some good articles on FAOL, but advising a new tyer to start with these and not telling them to look for instructional videos (like done by Dick Talleur etc.) is doing them a gross injustice in my opinion."

I do not quite agree with this advise because the person asking for beginner information on fly tying may not know what tools are needed or even how to use them and watching a tying video will not provide the assistance they need. One must know something about how to use the tools before they can begin to tie a fly. There are a lot of members here who learned to tie flies by using Al Campbell's instructions and I do not feel they are outdated. In Al's Beginner's instructions he takes the time to explain each tool and how they are used plus he explains the tying materials and how they are used and why. With a video you cannot really tie along with the instructor but with picture step-by-step tying instructions you can go at your own pace.

Just my thoughts on this and nothing more.....

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Default videos

And FAOL is accepting video tutorials also.
    If we marry the video with static elements like materials needed, and some entry text the beginner gets the best of both worlds.

I personally LOVE learning from videos.
    But a good searchable text is best for review and looking up something real quick.

As more tiers get video gear that can do fly tying we should see move videos here.. HINT HINT

Pause...rewind...start...pause...start...pause...r ewind...start...

You sure can tie along with a video tutorial. I taught myself to tie flies using 3 aids: Skip Morris' Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple videos, the Orvis Fly Tying Guide, and Al Campbell's beginner's articles here on FAOL.

There is always a delicate balance to strike between making it easy for people to learn/helping folks and coddling them to the extent that we actually make them dependent instead of independent. And frankly, it requires good judgment born of real wisdom to know where that balance is...because it is in a constant state of flux.

+ Reply to Thread