+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information, Look on FAOL First!

Hybrid View

Default Information, Look on FAOL First!

I don't always answer posts on the BB, but I have been seeing some recommendations in various parts of the BB on this site which infuriate me.
    Many of you will go to the boards and ask questions, the answers to which are already contained within the thousands of pages available to you on this site! Now for those of you who read the articles and seek clarification, you are still on my good side.
    To those of you who answer a question on the boards by immediately giving the person asking a URL for some other site, I really have to question why you are on here to begin with!
    There have been countless hours spent by the contributors on the content of this web site over the years, and no expense spared on the part of FAOL to archive every word.
    Sending people to another website is not now, never has been and never will be an appropriate thank you for all of the effort that goes into what you seem to be taking for granted.
    You sending readers somewhere else makes about as much sense as leaving fish at your feet to go find fish.
    Open your eyes, and calm your fingers
    George E Emanuel

PS don't let the Junior Member tag fool you either

Thumbs up

It is SO good to hear from you Mr Emmanuel. I so enjoyed your posts and articles when I first came on board in '98. I still use several of your tying tips and thank you for them. I trust that you will have a wonderful New Year. Junior Member my eye!
    mcsteff

Give em hell George. See ya at State College again?

Mark

George -

An inquiry on the board will generally produce some helpful suggestions quicker than an exhaustive and quite possibly unproductive search of the archives - because the human memory is incredibly broad and quick, and the willingness to help is incredibly deep.

There are ways to be more helpful, and it seems to me the best way is to link back to information here on FAOL that you can readily find and post a link to. If someone trying to help doesn't know what is here on the site, and I'd take pretty good odds that no one knows what all is on this massive mound of information, ideas, and opinions, but knows another suitable place it can be found, a link to another site is also an expression of that willingness to help.

While expressing an intent to help, posts that simply say, in effect, "go find it in the archives" or "goggle it" or check a website without a link, are the ones that bother me. That's kind of like telling someone who is drowning to think about a PFD.

Another point about the inquiries that seem to infuriate you - often they lead to very interesting discussions. If everyone sat around examining the archives and got all the information and answers they needed there, the Bulletin Board would be a pretty quiet place. And sometimes, someone's question will cause others to think in a way that they would not have thought otherwise, or to see something they wouldn't have seen.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    George -

An inquiry on the board will generally produce some helpful suggestions quicker than an exhaustive and quite possibly unproductive search of the archives - because the human memory is incredibly broad and quick, and the willingness to help is incredibly deep.

There are ways to be more helpful, and it seems to me the best way is to link back to information here on FAOL that you can readily find and post a link to. If someone trying to help doesn't know what is here on the site, and I'd take pretty good odds that no one knows what all is on this massive mound of information, ideas, and opinions, but knows another suitable place it can be found, a link to another site is also an expression of that willingness to help.

While expressing an intent to help, posts that simply say, in effect, "go find it in the archives" or "goggle it" or check a website without a link, are the ones that bother me. That's kind of like telling someone who is drowning to think about a PFD.

Another point about the inquiries that seem to infuriate you - often they lead to very interesting discussions. If everyone sat around examining the archives and got all the information and answers they needed there, the Bulletin Board would be a pretty quiet place. And sometimes, someone's question will cause others to think in a way that they would not have thought otherwise, or to see something they wouldn't have seen.

John
    Excellent point!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

In some cases, people post questions on subject for which there is no detailed or even basic information on this website. I such cases it can be helpful to post a link to another site, especially if the material in question is copyrighted. I think of this as no different than providing a reference to a book or magazine article.

On the other hand, there is a tremendous amount of information on this site that a lot of visitors miss. I suspect many visitors to this site never check anything other than the bulletin board and miss all of the treasures here.

Blog Entries

I know I am still learning all the stuff that is on this site. I know where or how to find lots of information on various subjects and tend to use the tried and true methods I know. Quite often, FAOL pops up in my search. When it does, I refer folks back here.

All that said, the information on this site is not the only information available and is not the only way to do things.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    All that said, the information on this site is not the only information available and is not the only way to do things.
    i can find you 5 hook conversion charts on the internet faster than trying to find one here through the search function on faol. until the feature is fixed, i will continue to use advantage of GOOGLE or BING to answer questions and use internet links and faol links should they come up in a search.

faol has a lot of data stored on its servers, but not as much as the internet has stored on its servers. contrary to popular belief, not everything related to fly fishing/tying is on foal. you cannot do a search on faol for "delaware river fly patterns" and come up with the answer the internet is going to give you. give it a try and see if you come up with the same 9112 answers to the search question.
    Last edited by Normand; 12-30-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Give em hell George. See ya at State College again?

Mark
    Yeah, I guess I am always giving someone hell Mark, good to see you are still here. I would be glad to fish with you again anywhere, anytime.
    Have a great New Year my friend!

George,
    May our fly lines cross each other in a friendly embrace. Either here or on the other side of the river. I look forward to fishing with you one day. Lively discussion is a good thing.
    Peace Brother,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread