Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any limits to Sounding Off??

Default Any limits to Sounding Off??

As I understood this particular board, it is for complaints in regard tackle,
    tackle manufacturers, anything related to fly angling in which you have a legitimate complaint. I now assume this is incorrect.

Might I ask what is tinder for this board? Anything that causes you some kind of discomfort or irritation?

Personally, I don't care to read those posts. That's just me and if others are okay with such posts that's fine. It just doesn't seem appropriate on a Fly Angling bulletin board.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

The limits are that it can not be religious or political and no personal attacks.

Nobody is forcing you to read the posts, are they? If you run across a thread you don't want to read, don't read it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    The limits are that it can not be religious or political and no personal attacks.

Nobody is forcing you to read the posts, are they? If you run across a thread you don't want to read, don't read it.
    Whats needed is a way to totally BLANK..never to be seen again sort of button. I'll shut that thread off forever.

"Nobody is forcing you to read the posts, are they?"...YES...the simple fact they APPEAR "forces" one to read them..after all it MIGHT BE something pertinent as compared to useless drivel!

I'm certainly aware no one is making me read these posts.
    The subject sometimes will draw one in so to speak.
    Then, I'm looking at some gripe as to whatever!

As long as we're being literal......"Gripes and Grumbles, Hurrahs and Atta-boys."
    Give your input on products you have tried, Companies you have dealt with;
    a place to ask about a company or product and get input from folks who have used it.

If this is not the purpose of this board the definition should be re-defined.

Bob
    Last edited by bobbyg; 12-29-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I think the last line in the instructions is pretty clear: NO WAR, POLITICS, RELIGION, OR FLAMING!

When people start getting personal here, it goes downhill fast and the moderators tend to lock things down and, on occasion, kick out some people who went too far. The relative lack of personal attacks is what separates this site from one or two others I *used* to visit.

This is a family site. Don't post anything you wouldn't want your mother or children to see and attribute to you, and since it really IS a flyfishing site, keeping the topics at least REMOTELY connected to flyfishing (as opposed to, say, baseball) is appreciated by me and perhaps one or two other of the thousands of readers of the site.

DG,

This is not personal. It's impersonal as to content.
    I would hope that at least a couple of thousand members feel as you!!??

Bob
    Last edited by bobbyg; 12-29-2009 at 11:30 PM.

This section seems to be a 'catch-all'...

You'll see folks discussing their health, family problems, happy occasions, sometimes other sports, date related things (holidays, etc.), food issues, and 'news' items.

Little of that 'fits' the 'description' of what is 'supposed' to be posted here.

But, this place is like a family home more than a strictly fly fishing site now to lots of people. To many of us, the people who post here have become friends and, in many instances, people we care about beyond the realm of fishing.

What you see here in the 'sound off' forum is where some of that type of interaction occurs. That it is allowed within reasonable limits just points out the quality of the moderators involved. They could easily justify deleting most of these posts.

As has been pointed out previously, if you don't want to read such posts, just don't read them.

If what you are 'objecting' to is that you spent a few seconds opening a thread and then found out that it wasn't a 'fishing' thread....think about that for a moment.

If it's that the 'description' doesn't match the 'content' as listed...well now you know...If you feel somehow 'cheated' by this, I'll happily personally send you back the money you spent to sign up .

Buddy

p.s; I'm not a 'moderator', but I do appreciate the job they have to do here.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Having reread the guidelines to Sound Off, I am thinking bobbyg may be right about Sound Off being meant to relate to flyfishing and not an open forum. Having been on this bb since late 2002, I know the rules have been lacked somewhat as long as the topic and resulting communication was civil.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

One of the marketplace forum I am on has a section called Drama. Since there are peole who feel it is out of place with what the forum is about, Drama can be hidden by clicking on a feature under a User's Opinions. May be that is something they can have here.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    One of the marketplace forum I am on has a section called Drama. Since there are peole who feel it is out of place with what the forum is about, Drama can be hidden by clicking on a feature under a User's Opinions. May be that is something they can have here.
    Dead on! Some sort of "feature" where a person can blank a thread in its entirety is definitely needed.

Closed Thread