+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Float tube sonar?

Hybrid View

Default Float tube sonar?

Does it help? Which models are best? Thanks!

Yes, they help.
    Here's a good one;
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have that Fishing buddy.
    Works good for structure and side search.
    Easy to transport and load into the Cabelas Holster that straps to the tube.
    No fixed transponder to worry about.
    Works on 3 D batteries........... pretty long life.
    There are better fishfinders out there but this one suits the tube best.
    (can also be used on canoes and boats with no extra hardware needed
    quick and easy)

Cheers
    DuFf

I was also going to say the Fishing Buddy. So much better since Hummingbird bought them out. The old Bottom Line were terrible.
    I am a big fan of anything HUMMINGBIRD. I just think they make the best.

You can buy a regular boat model and in many cases, allot less than the fishing buddy.

I have an older model that was top of the line in it's day. I have even had to replace the plastic screen. But. it works great.

I mount the monitor to a block of wood, and then used an old Tube mount Rod holder. For the Transducer, I mounted it to an Aluminum square tube and use an old Fishing Buddy tube mount which would be a piece of cake to make. Just a PVC tube with nylon straps.

I then use a small rechargeable battery. You can get really small ones at Home Alarm places.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Wink Those lying-lectronics

Hi Bluegill,

We have a couple of the older Fishin' Buddy 2255's that we use on float tubes ( specifically ), but their use is more common on our large open water lakes ( Hill Land, Canyon, Large Alpine type lakes ), where structure, baitfish concentrations and larger game fish ( Stripers, Mackinaw, Landlocked Salmon & Larger Trout ) are the target. For flatland impoundments, small lakes and ponds, ( Think water less than twenty five feet deep, slow - gradual slopes, weedy environs and heavily hatch related feeding habits ) we rarely use them.

If you go the F.B. route, you may come to the conclusion that you can fashion a more durable, rigid and effective holster for the unit than you can currently buy.

On the toon' and boats, I've run Eagle, Hummingbird & Lowrance at different times. I have no favorites. One piece of advice from this old retailer of those lying-lectronics. When you get one, read the manual cover to cover. Then when you rig the unit and go to use it the first time, just turn the power on and leave it alone.
    Most folks immediately start fiddling with the units settings. Why in the world someone who has never run a graph before or who has limited time running one, think they know more about what settings are best out of the box, than the people who designed and tested the unit, is beyond me, but most folks do.
    Try simply powering up the unit and learn to interpret the information it's giving you. Then once you have a working knowledge of how the unit relates information on a given body of water, go ahead and make an informed selection of the settings.

Best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 12-30-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Dave, you nailed that.....I have had mine for like pushing 10 years and the only adjustment I have messed with is sensitivity and the rest I go automantic.

All I know, is it gets me into fish....specially is i am deep nymphing.
    But, they can also be frustrating in that they will read fish, but you can't buy one!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    But, they can also be frustrating in that they will read fish, but you can't buy one!
    Bears repeating.................

+ Reply to Thread