+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off brand equipment treasures

Default off brand equipment treasures

Benjo's topic about cheap fly rods is interesting. I wonder what other equipment you have that you really like and would be hard put to sell or give away.
    I am nuts about my Lord Weldon large arbor reel. It has to be forty years old, yet it is lovely to look at, has a satisfying click and really looks great loaded with backing and a contrasting line. I used it all season on my five weight. I should sell it but cannot bear to part with it.
    Then there is that Shakespeare graphite 6 wt. rod that I bought two years ago. It casts great, looks fine and I expect I will keep it always.
    Okay, and now for my 6'8" Horrocks Ibbotson fiberglass rod. It is a Buddy rod. The color is stunning aqua green. I sent it to a rod builder for his opinion and he was knocked out by it. So, I will use it as a three weight from time to time and other times I will take it out and admire it.
    What say all of you? What are your equipment treasures?

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 25 January 2006).]

Gardenfish,
    I have a 6'8" H&I Mohawk that is emerald green solid glass with black hardware, black over metallic silver wraps and in pristine condition.
    I haven't fished with it yet but I doubt that I'll ever part with it.

To clarify: my beauty is a Horrocks-Ibbotson, Mohawk Buddy, NO> 1600 6 2/3 feet. It is that glorious aqua color with brown wrapps overlaid with 8 silver wraps and then 2 white bands on either side of each wrap. What a lovely rod.WhenI bought it last year it still had the plastic wrap on it. Lucky me

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

HoosierCReeks OUr rods sound similar. I wish we could compare them side to side.

JC,
    I don't know when it was made. The female half of the ferrule and the reel seat are pinned if that is any indication. It was an eBay purchase that I made a couple of years ago. The rod did not cost me much.

Gardenfish,
    The rod that I have is marked as a 1600 also.
    After looking at it again the wraps are green/black over silver with the two white bands that you mentioned. The ferrule and tip top are chrome and the stripper and snake guides are black.
    I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

[This message has been edited by HoosierCreeks (edited 25 January 2006).]

Here's some pics.

My Glass Lamiglass 5-6 WT 2 peice that I picked up for $8. I may only fish it a doz or so times a year but I love the feel of that old rod sometimes for its slow relaxed action. Great little Bass rod and for fishing deep lakes for trout with.
    I liked it so well I picked up another glass rod Fenwick this past summer at a garage sale for $25.

WOw, that is my rod except for the wraps which are dark brown. the rest is identical.
    These are really beautiful rods and the fish just fine as well.

Well i have a fly tying vise from my uncle that must be forty years odl and i still use it all of the time.

Mr. has this neat hand-made vise...

The vise was made in a small machine shop by one of his cutomer's Dad (or Uncle). Seems he made a bunch of them; but, never really did anything with the product.

Great vise, one of his favorites.

+ Reply to Thread