+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some much needed time on the water

Default Some much needed time on the water

Christmas is supposed to be a happy time of year. My day was going great, we opened presents and played with the kids. The kids got lots of stuff from Santa and were eager to play with their toys. As the day went on we settled down and had Christmas dinner. Once the kids were in bed we sat down and decompressed for a while.

I was sitting on the couch watching TV when the call came. I heard my wife answer the phone and say ?hold on I will get him.? On the other end was my cousin, he informed me that our grandmother had just passed away. He said that he was on his way to go say his goodbyes before they took her. I said that I would meet him there.

I was very close with my grandmother and this has been pretty hard for me, the next day was pretty much a blur. My wife said to me why don?t you get out and go fish and clear your head. I said that I did not feel like going but I might go on Sunday if I can find someone to go with me. I did end up finding someone that could go so I headed out the following morning.

The day was cold and the air was crisp. There was snow all over the place, it was kind of neat seeing the bald eagles and wild turkeys as well. I stopped to take a picture of an eagle that was very close in a tree. However by the time I got the camera out and turned on he had flown away.

It was not long after we made it to the first spot of the day. We got out, got our gear set up and hit the water. On my first cast I got a hit, I set the hook and it was fish on. As the fish got closer I noticed that it was not a trout. Yes my first fish of the day was a whitefish.

I caught quite a few whitefish during the course of the early morning. Just when I was beginning to think that we should mover I got another hit. This time the fight was quite different than I had been experiencing with the whitefish. As the fish got closer my suspensions were confirmed. It was the first rainbow of the day. I landed the fish and sent him on his way.

After that Jeremy suggested that we check out some other runs. We got back in the car and went to our next spot. This spot was not productive for either of us so after a while we decided to move again. We decided to go check out the first run again.

We got back to the run and resumed fishing. I quickly hooked another fish, however it was another whitefish. I decided to take a pic of this one just for the heck of it. I noticed that the whitefish were keying in on a particular fly so I decided to remove that fly. This turned out to be a good decision.

During that time until we decided to leave I only caught bows. Overall it was a pretty good trip, I was able to get out and get my head clear and the fishing was not that bad either. Here are some more photos, hope you enjoy.

continued..........

Sorry to hear of your loss. My wife, VEE, lost her Grandmother today. Fortunately, it was expected as Grandma had passed her 100th birthday.

Nothing restores the soul like a day on the water, immersed in nature's bounty.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Sorry to here about both of your Grandmothers passing, getting out on the water was a good idea , the fishing report and pics I enjoyed. Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Sorry for both of your loses. Any time you lose a loved one is difficult, but the holidays makes it worse.

The pics were great, thanks.

TB

Sasha
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your grandma. it's always hard to loose some one you love. I'm glad you got out, I'll bet it would have made your grandma smile to know you got out on the river.

51BC

Sasha -

Your wife and friend were there to help you through a difficult time. That is worth much more than any time on the water.

But you got the best of both with the good day fishing, with their help and blessing.

Thanks for the report and pics. Looking forward to more when time and circumstances permit.

John

P.S. Are you still down in Vegas regularly ?? Getting out in the desert and mountains at all ??
    The fish are always right.

Sasha, condolences. Sorry to hear of your loss. Fishing is truly a time where I can clear my head and find focus, not just on fishing, but on my life and what's happening in my life. Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good time of it.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Your Grandmother is very proud of you! She's smiling right now.

It is hard to loose someone you love and look up to, especially at the Holidays, I know first hand. I'm so sorry.

Your sharing (learned from Grandma?) is wonderful! The closeups of your trouts are incredible!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thank you everybody for your kind words. While I am very sad about it, I am glad that she had a long and full life.

+ Reply to Thread