Hi, I'm new here and don't know your history, though I gather it includes some recent unhappiness over gear losses, which I'm sorry about.

I made a recent choice by mail that hasn't worked out well, and maybe we can get together on this regarding your interest in a lightweight rod and reel.

I have a used Battenkill 3/4 reel (disc drag, made in England) that was purchased as a demo model just 8 weeks ago. I've used it three times (yes, in the cold, actually very cold- twice at above 8,500 ft, or nearly 3000 m, in the mountains in Arizona, in December).

The reel has an original Orvis pouch and an extra spool. The extra spool has a cloth Orvis bag and a separately purchased Simms neoprene bag. One spool has an Orvis WF4F line (not sure of the exact model of line, it is yellow...) and the other has Wonderline Generation 3 DT3 floating line. The WF4F line has a braided, fluorocarbon leader on it with a loop on the end, with some short, heavy tippet and another loop. There is a leader on the other line, too- I think it is a 7 1/2 ft Orvis 4X with some wind knots at the end (one day I fished in very high winds in the mountains, high enough to cause car accidents back down in the valley... and I'm a total beginner; it wasn't pretty fishing technique, but I'm in the early learning stages, so any time fishing is good time for me).

For some reason, this reel doesn't seat well on my inexpensive Greys 3/4 Wt rod bought as a close-out. I think the rod's reel seat is simply too small for the sturdy Battenkill (I have to jam the reel in hard and the opening on the metal ring of the reel seat just isn't big enough for a good fit).

So, I need to go into a local fly shop and try out some other reels, but I can't afford one unless I sell the Orvis. I bought the Orvis from Glady Fork Outfitters over the phone, not expecting any issues with my 3/4 Wt rod (and it isn't anyone's fault).

Do you have any interest? I'm new at fly fishing and working on a shoe-string, so let me know what you might offer. Best wishes, Jim