+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT?S THE RIGHT THING? - Ladyfisher - December 28, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default WHAT?S THE RIGHT THING? - Ladyfisher - December 28, 2009

WHAT?S THE RIGHT THING?

We get a number of magazines, about four on fly fishing. One actually isn't 'just' fly fishing, but they always manage to have something... it is the Fishing Tackle Retailer. It just happens to be one of those trade magazines sent to fly shops and media outlets where someone might actually give them a little space. Some are better than others, but the September issue had some really neat stuff.

Blog Entries

Default Some folks are trying, Deanna...

I am happily involved with a program called Hooked on Tahosa which is a Fly Fishing Merit Badge program here in the Denver Area Council for the Boy Scouts. The only cost to the boys is for camp fees and meals. TFO provided 5 complete outfits and other manufacturers have provided supplies like tippet, leaders, etc. Some guys from the FFF provide casting instruction and fly tying instruction as well. Things were a bit slow this year with the economy, but a couple of classes of 16 each went home looking for TFO rods after tying a few flies and catching fish with those flies on the rods TFO supplied as well as a few old beater rods we have. I know where Sage could donate a few outfits if they were of a mind to, and their expertise would be welcome as well.

Sky Ranch, a Lutheran summer camp in northern Colorado, also has a course available that is headed up by one of the guys from Eagle Claw/Wright & McGill here in Denver. It is another one where the cost is minimal to cover camp fees and meals. A whole weekend of instruction and fishing in the Colorado high country, room and board included. What do some of these folks pay for that with a guide?

I have seen a lot of the "instruction for profit" you speak of, too. $125 for a 3 or 4 hour fly tying class. And that isn't even semi private! That is with a group!

One of the local shops has free classes, and of course Bass Pro offers free classes. These folks understand the idea that if you help someone along the road to better casting or tying and you create customer loyalty and sell stuff.

I am sure there are other programs out there, but there could and should be more.

There are people on this board with connections to the folks at Sage, TFO, Albright, and more. Since the shops don't seem to want to do it, why can't we?

There are rec centers all across the country that would be happy to host something like this. State Parks might pick up on things like this, too.

Just some more food for thought.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

My wife, VEE, and I am happily involved with a kids summer conservation and fly fishing camp. True, it costs the family money, but most week long live away camps do. The kids get great conservation classes that involve our west coast salmon, steelhead and trout populations, and fly fishing and tying. Every day the kids have a chance to fly fish with a mentor on a nearby lake or on one of several local rivers.

VEE and I both teach free fly tying classes at the local Wholesale Sports (used to be Sportsman's Warehouse) and a member of our little club also teaches free casting classes there too.

When we tie at one of the local Fly Fishing Expos I'm always encouraged by the number of young people that watch us tie. Many, not only want to know the how of tying, but also want to know the why. That helps keep us old(er) people on our toes.

Doing the right thing doesn't have to cost money, just a little time and energy.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Doing the right thing doesn't have to cost money, just a little time and energy.
    I don't know about that, Ron. It might cost me a weekend, but I think I come back with more energy than I left with.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I don't think it's a "cost" It's PRICELESS.

More in a bit, but right now tears of wonderful memories must subside first.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Excellent article, LF.

I do my teaching free of charge, through my local club, Flygirls of Michigan and local outdoor type shows. I also pass on what I know on the river, if anyone asks. I try to encourage our club members to do the same. In the last couple of years I've seen the face of our local club change...from mostly old timers, like myself, to a more diverse membership. We have kids, teens and young adults...and more women involved now.

My point is, that it can be done.

The one point LF made was that it's very difficult, to get equipment for teaching. As a not for profit club with mostly blue collar membership, we have to aquire ours, one piece at a time at retail. We usually have to look at the lowest end product available. That's ok for teaching the basics.

I would think that the companies that have given up offering this sort of thing to the shops for the reasons stated in the article, may think of approaching the fly fishing clubs and make the same offer. I know I wouldn't turn that down.

FFF has an equipment loan program. GREAT...if you live in the USA. I can tell you that being in Canada...or at least Ontario is definatly a big disadvantage with regards to any company support of this sort. They just don't exist for us here.

The future of this activity and our water ways, is in our youth. It really starts with taking little boys AND GIRLS, fishing.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 12-28-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

"I do know there are a few former tournament trail bass anglers that have taken up the long rod who are regulars here on FAOL. One who passed this past year was Harold Hattaway. Cancer finally got Harold, but he was a very vocal advocate of fly fishing and the companions we found in our sport. Those who attended the Florida Fish-In back in 2008 had the pleasure of meeting him in person. Fortunately for us he aimed former fishing friends in our direction. You never quite know who all is reading FAOL do you?"

No, you never do.

Harold was the epitome of sharing and caring, not only in fishing/fly fishing, and fly tying, but also in life. He loved people. He loved life. He shared his infectious zeal for all things living with every breath he took. His Spirit never failed. His body did ... on May 5, 2007.

I like to believe his Spirit still roams the hallowed halls of FAOL, leaning us one way or the other; showing us little things to do to add joy to our purpose; sharing a laugh or two.

Harold, and so many others who have gone before us, have "Sponsored" us ... to do the right thing.

Thank you, Deanna, for reminding us again.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread