+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Griffin Montana Mongoose vise question

Default Griffin Montana Mongoose vise question

I am the guy with the amazing wife who bought me fly tying gear for Christmas. I have a queston about my vise.

My brother has a Dyna King(I think), and when he rotates the fly, the hook never changes position. When I first put my vise together, I must of had something askew, because the hook moved drastically off the center axis as I rotated. After setting my vise up more like the picture, I have less movement off axis during rotation, but more then I have seen on my brothers vise. Do I have something set up wrong, or is my vise just different?

Thanks for the help.

Bedlam,

Your vise is adjustable so that any size or style of hook can be used and still have the rotation be centered around the hook shank.

You'll need to figure out where that adjustment is on your vise (should be in the instructions). You'll need to adjust the vise to fit the particular hook you are using at the time.

That's normal, even for those of us with DynaKing vises.

Nice vise, by the way. I modified one a year or so back for friend so that it would have a 'reel' like crank handle on it...

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Bedlam, change the hook axis either by changing the hook angle used when you clamp the hook in place and/or by changing the angle of the vise. When you look at it head on from in front, you can rotate the vise clockwise or counterclockwise. Adjust that and make sure that you're clamping the hook in to be parallel with the base or table. It'll be second nature in a short time. Great vise, by the way. I love mine.

4. Default

i have the same vise and all you really have to do it tighten the tensioning screw near the top of the jaws, fit that snuggly around the hook and then clamp down. that should solve all of your problems
    and i agree with all of the people abouve in that i love my vice to, dont think ill be switching any time soon
    -tyler-

I am the lucky recipient of the Montana Mongoose that Buddy modified. He cut a 4" round piece out of a plastic kitchen cutting board and mounted it on the vise. It needed to be that big to counter balance the weight of the vise head and jaws. Then he put a handle on it that is on a spindle....so it turns freely. Just like he said. It can be rotated either direction just exackery like a fly reel. Then he drilled a hole opposite the handle....through the disk. You can stick your finger in the hole and spin the vise as well. Wonderful creation and thank you so very much Mr. Buddy Sanders. It's PERFECT. I also like the size of the wheel...because without looking for the handle....while staring at the fly...I can reach up and just grasp the whole wheel and turn a bit one way or the other to look at the fly and or apply head cement. NICE>

For setting the hook shank to rotate in the same horizontal plane....it MUST be on the same horizontal plane as the center of the rotation mount on the shaft. If the shank is in the same plane as the center of the head mount at the support shaft...it will turn in the same plane.

I am outta state. When I get home I may find time to post a pic of the vise Buddy modified. Only way to fly IMHO>

Jim

+ Reply to Thread