+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THINNING THE HERD - Readers cast - December 28, 2009

Blog Entries

Default THINNING THE HERD - Readers cast - December 28, 2009

THINNING THE HERD

As I was putting away one of my fly rods after a recent trip, I got to thinking about the different rods that I own. Now depending on your perspective, if you were to take a look at the number of fly rods I have, you might think that I own too few or have acquired too many. And some of you would argue that you can never own too many fly rods. Whatever side of the stream you are on sooner or later you?ll ask yourself, do I really need this many fly rods not to mention do I really want that many fly rods.

Dibbies on that 86 3/2 bamboo ... if you should ever decide to remove it from your quiver!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Dibbies on that 86 3/2 bamboo ... if you should ever decide to remove it from your quiver!!
    Betty

How could I do that? Especially now that you are refinishing it for me. However, I'll be sure to add to my will that it goes to you when I croak.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Wink wonrod ....

Dave -

I very much enjoyed your article.

With my new 7'9" for 4/5 Hexagraph, I am up to four rods.

The Hex casts line wts 3-5 quite nicely, and labors but a bit with a 7 wt. So I'm thinking I will let go my graphite 3 wt and 5 wt rods, which will get me down to two - the Hex and a fast action 9' for 7 wt.

Hmmmmm ...... if I ceased fishing tandems of big stonefly nymphs, I could let go the 7 wt and get it down to just the Hexagraph for all my ( trout ) fishing. A wonrod wonder ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Which one of those keeper rods are you going to use on?:
    -Tarps
    -Spinner Sharks
    -Salmon
    -Etc, etc?
    Max

Wink About Trout .....

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Which one of those keeper rods are you going to use on?:
    -Tarps
    -Spinner Sharks
    -Salmon
    -Etc, etc?
    Is this question addressed to me or Dave ?? If it is addressed to me, please note that I specified trout fishing, which is what I do.

John

Thinning the herd?....OK, I have 2 spinning rods I would part with, but my fly rods?...NEVER! I have a sentimental attachment to each & every fly rod I own (all but 1).
    2wt...Built & gifted by Joe Valencic
    3wt...I bought it retail, but it's my "GO-TO" gill rod
    5wt...Bought from WarrenP (a real bargain..a CAMOUFLAGE Diamondback)
    5wt...TFO...no attachment...I just like the rod
    6wt...My Sage VT2 won here on FAOL
    8wt...Part of a trade with Joe Valencic
    & last but certainly not least...
    My beloved vintage Southbend 291 bamboo...rod gifted by Dot Man & BEAUTIFUL restoration gifted & done by ol' Army buddy dleo6446.
    As you can tell, my inseparable links to my rods are valued friendships and FAOL. In fact, ALL these friendships happened here on FAOL, save for Leo & he & I "re-connected" after 40 years through both of us being FAOLers.

Do I need the ones I have?...Of course!
    Do I need more?...SURE!
    Will I buy more?...Nope! (I save for 'em, then spend it on Grandkids)
    Will I win more?...Maybe, I'm pretty lucky!
    Mikey
    Last edited by ohiotuber; 12-30-2009 at 03:04 AM.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Arrow

At present I am down to one rod, I had three, gifted the other 2 out, the one I have is a very nice rod, and like said b-4, means alot more to me than its dollar value because of the history of the rod... Its a long story but to make it short, I have this rod as a gift that was given to me, like my signiture says below, and I am thankful of my friends here on FAOL that are a big part of it.
    Do I want more? I think I do, but for right now, I can't see myself using any other rod...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Thumbs up THE Wonrod Wonder ....

Quote Originally Posted by Grubb View Post
    .....At present I am down to one rod.....
    Way to go, Tim. And I do remember the story of your one remaining rod. Took two great guys to pull that one off !!

John

10. Default

Angler Dave,

You mentioned one of the rods you only take fishing in the winter.

Where do you go fishing the Driftless in the winter???? When I read the Wisconsin DNR's website, it looked like ALL streams were closed to trout fishing in the winter. I was pretty disappointed when I read that. I'd be happy with a few streams I could fish that were catch and release only, but I couldn't find any listing of them. I could use a place to get out camping and fishing this time of year.

+ Reply to Thread