+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assembling multi-piece rods...

Hybrid View

Default Assembling multi-piece rods...

without looking like a klutz:

Assemble the bottom two pieces then the top two pieces then put the halves together. This may seem like a small deal but I've seen many folks drop the butt of the rod on the ground putting the final, tip section on and they really do look like they're struggling to do so.

Th first time I heard this it was a light bulb going on - so simple, yet it kind of goes against instinct, I guess.

you are so right, I onnly own a 2 piece but two younger perons I know each got new 4 piece high end rods last year and seen that happen a few times don't know how the rods didn't snap

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    without looking like a klutz:

Assemble the bottom two pieces then the top two pieces then put the halves together. This may seem like a small deal but I've seen many folks drop the butt of the rod on the ground putting the final, tip section on and they really do look like they're struggling to do so.
    2, 3 or 4 piece...I always put the butt of the rod on my toe as Im sticking sections together

Normand Guest

i'm not that much of a klutz, so i usually start with the butt end and work my way up to the top one section at a time. once i have two sections of the butt end together i will rest it in the back area of my rav4 and continue the assembly process.

i also use a db dun rod carrier. the top 2 section are together and the bottom 2 section are also together.

I have always assembled multi-piece rods starting from the tip down...never dropped one and it just seemed easier for me........Rob

I also line my rod in "sections". The butt and first section together and run the line through, pulling enough line to string the remainder. This goes into the back of the station wagon and not on the ground. Then put the last two sections together and run the line through those and finally the whole thing together and everything is done. Doing it this way I don't have the butt/reel in the grass, mud, rocks, or whatever.

George

Default Tip first

I generally mount the reel and pull out a bit of tippet so I can start rigging the rod when it is assembled. Then I start with the tip section and next lower section and work my way down to the butt section. That makes it easier for me to line up the guides than starting at the butt and working my way up to the tip.

I thread the entire leader and a foot or so of line through the stripper, then rest the butt end of the rod in a secure place, whether on the ground, the truck bed or seat, whatever. Then it is a matter of pulling enough line off the reel to thread through the remaining guides, staying clear of the blank and putting no pressure on it at any point.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread