+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switch rod with indicator?

Default switch rod with indicator?

I have yet to hear of anyone who nymphs with a switch rod and indicator,thinking of giving it a go.Can be easily talked out of it with sound reasoning.Imput is very much appreciated.

tri-co -

I don't have a switch rod, and probably never will get one.

BUT if I did, I for sure would use it for nymphing with an indicator. In fact, that is most likely the only reason I would get one - to use tandem rigs of big weighted nymphs under an indicator on big water.

For the present, the fly rod I use for fishing multiple large weighted nymphs under an indicator is a fast action 9' for 7 wt. How much different is that from a switch rod ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Where I fish, it is done with 2 or 3 nymphs below a strike indicator -- and I use this with either a 10-1/2 foot switch rod or/or a 10 ft. single handed rod. All the switch rod does is give you an added advantage of using two hands.

I don't try not to classify any method of fishing with just a certain type of rod or equipment. Use the techniques and try to apply them with any type of fishing. For example, a lot of the spey type of casts are just as applicable to a single handed rod.

I broke my switch rod 3 weeks ago so while I wait for it to be repaird and returned, I am using a 9 ft rod and applying some of the two handed techniques

Blog Entries

Default Strike Indicators

Tri-co,

No problem and no concerns about using any rod for indicator style nymph fishing. I use indicators with two of my 11 foot rods when fishing the rivers for trout. Spey casters use indicators when fishing for steelhead and salmon. Go for it!!!!

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Hi John,
    Thanks for your imput.I suppose the option of double handing would be the primary difference.If your nine footer can handle those larger western rivers,maybe I am over doing it with a switch rod for indicator nymphing.

Blog Entries

Default Long Rods

tri-co,

The reason I use my 11 foot rods for nymphing is because of the ease to cast a mend. With just a flick of the wrist you can toss in a big mend right after you cast, thus allowing the nymphing rig to float drag free. It is really easy to reach cast with these rods as well, starting your mending process during the initial cast. When I nymph with a 9 foot rod it is really easy for me to wear out my right arm and shoulder just to try to cast in the mends.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

nighthawk Guest

Hum, Snap-T spey like casting needs almost zero back cast room. 10' or 11' 7wt why wouldn't I use a dry on it too. Granted a large dry but we grow some big ones here in Penn's Woods.

Nymph for sure under a strike indicator but it would also make a nice deep water lake set up. Might be good when I have to belly crawl up to some of our nameless native brook trout streams too. The longer the rod the easier it is to reach out and dap for those little 5" adult native brookies too.

Thanks guys for the food for thought.

I have used a switch rod many times when nymph fishing with an indicator. I find that when I fish heavy current large rivers this rod is the ticket. It also works great on streamers, dry dropper rings, and large drys.
    I will use a half spay cast, reach drift, or "normal" cast to work the rig into the river.

Batson 10'8" switch rod build
    Last edited by hardhat; 12-26-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Wink Flexibility .....

You can fish small dry flies off a long rod, also. For example, a 14' for 8/9 two handed spey rod fishing a DT3F line with a size 16 march brown. That thing below my left elbow is a rainbow aka "stealhead in training."

Monster brookie on the same rig. Who says you can't fish small streams with big rods ??

John

P.S. After a half dozen fish on that set up, I went back to my 7'6" for 3 wt for the rest of the day. Much more fun, for sure, and easier to handle, especially in tight quarters.
    The fish are always right.

I some times use an indicator with my Sage 11ft for 7wt Switch.
    Max

+ Reply to Thread