+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tying Bench

Default New Tying Bench

I've been using an old workbench in the basement to tie flies. The previous owners of the house left it when they moved out in 1986, so you know it was particularly valuable and well made.<g> For the past year I've been thinking about getting organized and building myself a real bench with storage to fit my needs. The ideas really started flowing when Wife and I remodeled the kitchen. I thought I'd share my basic ideas and see what other folks here think - and before someone mentions it, I've searched the forum for ideas and I've found quite a few. It is always interesting to see how neat or messy your work areas are! Mine tends toward the messy end of the spectrum but some of ya'll have me beat (thank you very much!).

Lighting. If you can't see you can't tie. I've got one four foot florescent (2 tube) fixture and an Otto light for spot lighting. The walls are cinder block and I plan to paint them to brighten the area up. I think my lighting is more than adequate for the roughly 8'x10' area that I have.

The Bench. My current plan is to build a basic desk starting with two 18" wide base cabinets with doors and shelves (not drawers) separated by 24" for my knees. The top will probably be granite and nominally 60" wide by 26" deep. I could certainly use something cheaper but I've got a source for relatively inexpensive stone if I can live with the remnants of someone else's project.

If I can find suitable cabinet bases at Lowes or Home Depot I'll do that. My plan is to remove the shelving and put in shallow pull out drawers. There are some interesting retrofit products available if you're willing to pay 40-75 bucks per drawer. I'm not willing to pay that. I plan build my own and use commercial drawer guides. My thought is to imitate a set of linen drawers like you see in a kitchen. Most materials are pretty flat - hooks, necks, saddles, fur, thread, tinsel, tools etc and storing them in flat pull out drawers seems efficient in both storage and access.

Miscellaneous thoughts. I plan to run two extra electrical outlets in the vicinity of the desk so I can plug in the laptop or listen to music, etc. I've got a fair assortment of plastic bins and a wooden machinists chest for extra material than will probably stay on the bench (like they are now). For storage of bulk materials I've got a wall of shelving (about 8' wide by 8' high) which I expect I'll upgrade a bit. I may add a small book case so I can keep my reference material close at hand, too.

All of this is being encouraged by Wife, who thinks the area will be neater. None of it's needed but in my semi-retirement I find more time for fly-tying and fishing (the lake is about 200' away in the backyard <g>). With ice on the water the time seems right.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing or could do better? One recurring thought I have is to get a deeper slab of granite - say 36" deep and put a hutch of some sort for more storage area. This is tempting on multiple accounts - I don't believe you can have too much storage (only too few tools and materials), it seems convenient, and it would be an project for me in the wood shop.

Greybeard

Blog Entries

As long as you are adding outlets, add way more than you think you will ever need. I would triple what you mentioned. At least 2 4-plex outlets per wall. In my area, about 10 by 12, I have 2 four tube fixtures and still need the extra light from the lighted magnifier.

Folks give me a hard time about the 8 four tube fixtures in the garage, but when I turn on the lights, I can SEE! There are also 4-plex outlets every 4 feet all the way around the garage, except for the front where the door is. I don't hunt for an outlet anymore and it didn't take that much more time to do.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

And I thought I had it good... Not tying at the table anymore. When we moved, I got a "man cave". Tv, stereo and the like in there and a tying bench I built out of an old drop leaf kitchen table. Of course, its pretty bare now. As some of you know, I lost all of my tying stuff, its a slow rebuild! Nice knowing I have somewhere to go with it as I accumulate again.

I agree with Kevin!
    Steve

YOu might also want to keep an eye on Craig's list for your cabinets. You can sometimes pick them up for next to nothing if folks are doing a remodeling job. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Use more than 1 circuit for your outlets too. Its far too easy to overload a single circuit anymore with some of the stuff thats out there on the market

I agree on the extra outlets.
    Also granite sounds classy but I would be sure and get a homogeneous color...I wouldn't want to be looking for the things we use tying on a very patterned top....the correct color could be an issue too.

Blog Entries

Your basic kitchen base cabinet is a tad too tall for most chairs. However, if you take and cut the bottom 3.5" off, the toe kick area, they are just right. You want to leave the cabinet out where you plan on sitting so your knees have someplace to go. You can get base cabinets that are all drawers, too. Another alternative is a tall work chair or stool. A bar stool is too tali, but there are work chairs out there made for the average counter height.

I would use pre-made counter top in a solid cream color or something along that line, or use a solid color mat at the tying area to protect the counter top and give you a suitable background for finding stuff. If you do use a post formed counter, I just happen to have some cool bushings made for the old Made2Fly tying desks to hold your vise.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Smile

As one other thought, don't locate all your electrical outlets on the wall or elsewhere at the rear of the bench. Doing so will require you to drag the cords across the work area to get to a hand-held tool or device. Put a couple outlets on the facia in front of the bench top as I did in my commercial model shop. Outlets under your knee space would be O.K. also. Your plan seems very neat, good luck.
    Ray

Exclamation

I have been looking at this for a tyeing station check it out at http://www.theoriginalscrapbox.com/f...ping%20storage
    Ghost.

+ Reply to Thread