+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What color?

Hybrid View

Default What color?

Looking to buy new sun glasses since I dont need prescription glasses anymore.

Thinking of Costa DelMar's..? They have grey; brown; mirror and green I think it is?

Ive read before to never buy grey lenses for fly fishing because "you cant see a fly coming at you" ( ??????) and different places recommend the brown for daylight driving and such (again..??)

So what color lenses do YOU prefer and have you tried other colors?

( Needless to say they will be polarized)

I hate grey.

One time was talking to an optician and he said some people just don't "tolerate" some colors.

I almost always use amber or some variation...good on bright days and it goes into dusk fairly well.

Yup, amber or copper or whatever Costa Del Mar calls em! I used to have some wave 580's in copper and they were great! They floated away as I watched in disgust though. I've been using the H3O's with interchangable lenses. For the money they are really very good! Come with grey, amber and yellow lenses. The yellow is just great for low light conditions. They run about $120 for the set in a hard case. Might want to take a look

I'm certainly not an expert in this field, but I've had several pairs of prescription sunglasses from Smith Optics and have been quite satisfied with them. I'm about to be in the market once again for a new pair, however, and Costa DelMars are ones I'm considering (along with Smith Optics). Smith Optics have a lifetime warranty, and exceptional customer service.

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on the lense colors, but I'd suggest that you take all these opinions into consideration, as well as reading what the manufacturers say about the advantages of different lenses, and then try a few and see what works best for you and in the different conditions you'll be primarily wearing your glasses.

My eyes are very sensitive to bright light conditions, plus I spend MANY hours in very bright light conditions, so my needs and recommendations may be different from yours. I've recently worn brown lenses, which Smith Optics says provide a great combination of contrast and true color transmission for medium to bright conditions. Smith Optics copper lenses, on the other hand, have only medium contrast in medium to bright conditions.

This past season I amazed some fishing companions by spotting rising fish over 100 yards away on the opposite river bank, but I'd say whether you'd be able to spot a fly coming at you is more a function of the size fly and type of water your fishing than it is the color of your sunglasses lenses.

John

Sully -

I've worn a blue / grey pair of Nikons daily for the past seven years, both for general wear and for fishing. They suit me just fine. No trouble seeing the fly, although more recently they are starting to show some wear and that combined with some minor deterioration in my vision makes it a bit more difficult to see smaller flies.

Having said that, it seems that most people prefer and recommend amber or something in that color range, both for higher contrast and for seeing into the water. I do have a backup pair in an amber lens, believe they are from Smith, and they very good for what they are, and are probably superior to the Nikons for seeing the bottom of the creek. The optics can't match the Nikon, but then the Nikon were something like $300 retail ( $40 on closeout at Sierra Trading Post in Cheyenne in June '02 when we drove through there on a trip to Kansas ).

It's not unusual for Sierra Trading Post to have a LOT of sunglasses on sale with pretty decent discounts. That is the first place I would look, if I were looking for a new pair.

John
    The fish are always right.

Lightbulb

I believe it will depend a bit on the water you fish.

I use brown and also orange lenses because the water here is yellowish. Friends on the Bonny and in Gasp? use blue/grey because the water is gin clear.
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

Default Cocoons

Sully,

I have used Cocoons for years and I really appreciate the fit over aspect of them so I can wear my prescription glasses when I need to.

I use the Gray for high light conditions, they are great for toning down the direct sunlight and the sunlight that is being reflected off the water.

When it gets a little darker or on gray days I switch to my Amber Cocoons and when it really starts to get dark I switch to my Yellow Cocoons. I have not tried the Copper but they sound interesting.

Here is what Cocoon has to say about the colors they offer:

GRAY
    This is a neutral tint that delivers natural color definition and contrast. Ideal for every day use in bright light conditions where enhanced contrast is not required. (15% LT)

COPPER
    A general purpose tint that heightens depth perception and object definition by effectively filtering scattered blue light to improve contrast. Ideal for skiing, fishing and all flat light conditions. (16% LT)

AMBER
    Amber is effective at absorbing most blue light waves which sharpens visual acuity, improving depth perception and contrast in variable light conditions. Amber is popular for fishing, driving, and general use. (14% LT)

YELLOW
    A long time standard in ski and shooting sports, yellow provides excellent depth perception and dramatic contrast in low light. Improves contrast and gives a sensation of heightened visual acuity in low light conditions. (27% LT)

See what they offer at: http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/sunwear/

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I hate grey.

One time was talking to an optician and he said some people just don't "tolerate" some colors.

I almost always use amber or some variation...good on bright days and it goes into dusk fairly well.
    Grey lenses give me a headache!!

I used brown lenses for years, but switched to copper this past summer. For me, they were noticeably better; used them in freestoners here in the east and in Montana/Yellowstone.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread