.... after the best part of a year being intrigued by the Hexagraph, I finally made the decision.

Just got off the phone with BB member Harry Briscoe, president of Hexagraph Fly Rod Co. Within a day or two, a two piece 7'9" for 4/5 medium fast "Hexagraph" model ( with some cosmetic upgrades common to their "Classic" series ) will be in the mail from Chico CA where the Hex is built by Raptor Rod Works.

This is a high end rod, even at a discounted price with a Christmas wish, but it is a rod that I just had to try. Not being a "tools or toys" type, I'm thinking this one rod will likely cover all the trout fishing I do, with the exception of big stonefly nymphs under an indicator which will be reserved to my fast action 9' for 7 wt Sage Fli. Getting down to two fly rods from my present three is another step toward keeping it simple. Here's hoping.

If you are at all inclined to consider a Hex, I encourage you to take an in depth look at the Hexagraph website and then get in touch with Harry. There are rods to be built for something less than the prices shown for the Hexagraph model ( or more, if you like ), and there are a few rods on discount now which will fill a Christmas stocking without such a big dent in your bank account. Harry can tell you about the deals, and help you decide which model and size / weight would best suit your needs ( wants ). Follow the link for more information.

http://hexagraph.com/HTMLhex/hexagraph.html

The Hexagraphs are built out by Raptor from Chico CA. Raptor is an interesting outfit in its own right. Jim Clarkson has a history with the Powell Fly Rod company, and has some very interesting inventory for those who prefer bamboo, and bamboo with a history, like in E. C. and Walton Powell. If I were going to go with bamboo, I would have been talking to Jim rather than Harry.

http://www.raptorrodworks.com/about.html

Really excited about fishing this rod and exploring its limits. It should fish 3 wt to 5 wt lines well, with the full complement of flies ( excluding the big weighted nymphs ) I typically fish, with optimum performance as a medium fast 4 or medium 5. Dang, can't hardly wait to find some open water to work it out after it gets here. I fully expect this one rod to be the mainstay of the Fishing Reports I do in 2010, and beyond.

John

P.S. Deanna - Thanks for giving Harry a heads up on my interest in the Hexagraph.