+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Cuba

Hybrid View

Default Fishing in Cuba

More and more I read about the great fishing in Cuba. It's all over our most popular fly fishing magazines, front cover stuff. I was confused because I thought that there was some sort of embargo between the US and Cuba. If so, how were these folks getting there and are they doing so in spite of US diplomatic policy in place since the 1960s?
    The US State Dept says this Cuban travel, ie tourist travel, is not licensable as required for US citizens including travel through a third country such a Mexico or Canada.
    That said I am extremely disappointed that our sport/industry takes their personal pleasure/profit over US diplomatic policy. So much for patriotic fishermen.
    I guess if it's Uncle Sam or a big bonefish, give it to the bonefish.
    I will share the State Depts response to my query if you email me at
    striper33@princeton-ma.us

Cool Unfortunately absolutely correct -

Americans cannot legally go to Cuba. We have had a couple of invitations to go down to fish for what we are told are huge bonefish. All free of course.
    The trick is to go via Canada or Mexico, I'm told neither place will stamp your passport saying you've been to Cuba. If you think I'd even take a chance on that guess again.
    There are huge bonefish on Andros Island Bahamas. Legally. Those Americans who chose to break the law to fish in Cuba are obviously above the law. I also don't want anything to do with them. Bad news.

I agree with LF about not trying to circumvent the law. If however we could move out of the 1950's and make travel to Cuba legal, it does sound intrigueing.

Default cuba

I was jumped on pretty good on this board about a year ago for saying the same thing, alot of folks were using the trip thru Canada way of getting there. And did not see anything wrong with it.
    I agree that it's wrong to circumvent the law in order to go fishing illegally, and as Ladyfisher stated above, it ain't worth it.

There is some pretty good largemouth bass fishing in Cuba too. Occasionally a short article will turn up in a newspaper or online news service about American travelers who have been caught and fined. The fines can run up to $10k. I was offered a chance to go there a few years ago. However such a trip would have effectively ended my career whether I admitted I went or not. If I did not disclose the travel I would have violated federal law.

the Cubans come and go as they want...my neighbor is there right now...they mainly fly to Spain and then go in from there I am told...I have fished Cuba to a small extent myself a few yrs back...I worked on the military base as an electrician for a while...fishing is no better than Florida but lots less fisherman on the water...I live in Little Havanah so I am about the only "american" around for miles...my fiance is cuban and was born there...on a side note, the Cubans really party down for Christmas...same for New Years...when Castro dies I will be one of the 1st to know because of the daily political rallies they have at Calle Ocho(sw 8th st aka tamiami trail) with the exiles leading the charge...very personal around these parts...there are family members that have spent 20yrs as political prisoners

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Americans cannot legally go to Cuba.
    for "tourist travel" no, but...

heres what the US Department of State has to say about it

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html

journalists can get a "general license" to go. maybe that how the "journalist" who wrote the article got in.
    Last edited by Normand; 12-22-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Default Fishing in Cuba

Thanks all, esp LF.
    I was beginning to think I was a nutcase for bringing this up but maybe not after all. I'd certainly like to go when it's possible.
    I have pasted the State Dept's response to my inquiry. The file size limit wouldn't allow it to be an attachement.

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.
    Thank you for contacting the state Department.
    Subject
    Flyfishing in Cuba
    Discussion Thread
    Response (Support Agent) - 12/20/2009 11:31 AM
    The Cuban Assets Control Regulations of the U.S. Treasury Department require that
    persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction obtain a Treasury license before engaging in
    any transaction related to travel to, from and within Cuba. Transactions related to
    tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba
    from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada.
    Additional information may be obtained by contacting the Licensing Division, Office
    of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue
    NW, Treasury Annex, Washington, DC 20220, telephone (202) 622-2480; fax (202)
    622-1657, or via the web at Office of Foreign Assets Control.
    Should a traveler receive a license, a valid passport is required for entry into
    Cuba. The Cuban government requires that the traveler obtain a visa prior to
    arrival. Attempts to enter or exit Cuba illegally, or to aid the irregular exit of
    Cuban nationals or other persons, are contrary to Cuban law and are punishable by
    jail terms. Entering Cuban territory, territorial waters or airspace (within 12
    miles of the Cuban coast) without prior authorization from the Cuban government may
    result in arrest or other enforcement action by Cuban authorities. Immigration
    violators are subject to prison terms ranging from four years for illegal entry or
    exit to as many as 30 years for aggravated cases of alien smuggling. For current
    information on Cuban entry and customs requirements, travelers may
    contact the Cuban Interests Section, an office of the Cuban government, located at
    2630 16th street NW, Washington, DC 20009, telephone (202) 797-8518.
    In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have
    initiated procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary
    evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel when the parent(s) or
    legal guardian is not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not
    required, may facilitate entry/departure.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
    striper33

Blog Entries

Why not go to Cuba if you have the chance? I'd love to fish there! There are a lot of U.S. regulations that I disagree with.
    Steve

There are a lot of restrictions I disagree with as well. That does not, however, give me the right to ignore them. I do have the right to petition me representatives to change the laws. That is how things are properly done. Ignoring laws you don't like is anarchy.

+ Reply to Thread