+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OUTLAW REVIEW - Product Review - December 21, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default OUTLAW REVIEW - Product Review - December 21, 2009

OUTLAW REVIEW

I am very happy with the pontoon craft I am using. It is manoeuvrable, stable and light enough to portage to the river?s edge. It provides a stable casting platform for 2 anglers and is designed to be piloted by one oarsman. I can shoot rapids right up to class IV-V or spend an entire day comfortably seated. On the down side, it is less transportable than a canoe. The inherent design of a framed pontoon boat means there are lots of places to get tangled up on (foot pegs etc) and if you drop something, it?ll most probably end up in the drink. It is often preferable to beach the boat to land a big fish.

Thank you for a your very informative review, especially the pictures of your modifications showing the actual installation and the explination of the additional equipment.
    Bill.
    Last edited by digipixer; 12-21-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Talking

Thanks Bill!
    We had a heck of a lot of fun drifting the home waters this season. It is Sooo much more comfortable than in the old canoe ... In fact, on a long run from the #38 all the way down to the #8, Liliane actually fell asleep for almost an HOUR!

Stopping off on a beach for a bit of Lunch.

It took a few runs to really get the hang of piloting the thing. I was finding that I would not angle out enough to "back away" from upcoming obstacles and instead find myself actually stopped in the current. I learned to set up actually really hard (turning at least 45 degrees in the current), do a couple strokes to side step an obstacle, then back to get back on line then straighten out.

... ps ... And it's heck of a lot warmer than wading in October!!!

Ferrying friends across the #8 - Photo - R. Bernatachez
    Last edited by fcch; 12-21-2009 at 08:20 PM.
    Christopher Chin

I like my Outlaw X5 too. It's a couple sizes down from yours. 10'6". Got them in June. I like the stability of it. It just feels solid because of the design of a 'single' pontoon instead of two.

It just feels solid because of the design of a 'single' pontoon instead of two
    I really think it is less prone to twisting when the water gets white! When I was playing with the boat and going down some pretty extreme water, I did cheat and pump the float(s) up quite a bit (rock hard).

The last mod we'll do next year is to maybe cut the front lean bar by about 4-6" .. My Liliane is barely 5ft4" so it'll be much more comfortable for her to cast over it. The only problem is that when we want to lean the bar back, it'll be a tight squeeze to pass it over her head, so we're still debating this one.
    Christopher Chin

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    I really think it is less prone to twisting when the water gets white! When I was playing with the boat and going down some pretty extreme water, I did cheat and pump the float(s) up quite a bit (rock hard).

The last mod we'll do next year is to maybe cut the front lean bar by about 4-6" .. My Liliane is barely 5ft4" so it'll be much more comfortable for her to cast over it. The only problem is that when we want to lean the bar back, it'll be a tight squeeze to pass it over her head, so we're still debating this one.
    We have a K-Pump- a little pricey, but I really like it. They also make a pressure gauge. Talking to Dave and Larry, most people under inflate their boats. If you have even pressure in both bladders, it will perform better. I can't remember what the pressure it. I seem to recall 4-6 lb. I can find out for you. I'd like to get the gauge this coming year. I'm a little anal about things like that. Rock hard isn't that much pressure in these boats.

About the lean bar, have you called Dave to ask him about it? Maybe he has a solution already. Maybe I'll give him a call this week.

+ Reply to Thread