So after lurking around here for a year and enjoying the information and personalities on this fine website I've decided to try and become a little more active and contribute what I can. Hopefully this also translates into more fishing time which is an early New Years resolution.

I made it out to the Deschutes two days in a row a few weeks back before we got hit with a cold snap out here in Orygun. Cool and rainy, about 40F. Set up for nymphing and this was taken on a bead head cased caddis pattern

Pretty piggish, one of the larger whitefish that I've dredged out of the river.

Shortly thereafter I decided to switch up flies. During the changeover a powerful lesson was learned. While tying on the new fly I heard a distinct "plop" nearby. As I looked down I saw my flybox floating at my legs. Hand grab failed, rod retrieve failed, box floating merrily away. In a moment of sheer stupidity I charged after the box in knee high water. Unfortunately, the Deschutes is known for bowling ball sized rocks that are covered in some really slippery stuff. I made it about ten feet before I took a spill and ended up with a soaked left arm and a really sore right kneecap. Better judgement was restored and luckily I retrieved the errant box about 100 yards downstream in a shallow backeddy.

Day two found me with a very sore knee and a vow to wade with care. Despite the extra caution that I was taking I managed to stumble again and in a fateful way ended up with a soaked left arm and hit the same knee. Shortly after that there was some salty liquid coming from the eyes. Not so great of an expedition.

Yesterday found me on the river again, beautiful weather with more sun than cloud cover. This feisty little guy was brought to hand

I find it really amazing how hard these guys fight.

Later in the day nymphing picked up using a bead head cased caddis for weight and a flashback pheasant tail. One fish put on an aerial show that just floored me, four tail walking episodes before shaking me.

A great day, hopefully I get out on Monday and find it as productive!