+ Reply to Thread

Thread: snow

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default snow

almost buried. my car is the middle one

Look at the bright side...you should have a white Christmas!

Brad

We just got 16" dumped on us. It's been over 24 hrs and no plows yet. I am going to spend most of the day digging out. Not my idea of how I spend my Sundays.
    Steve

We got about 23" yesterday in WV. Spent good part of the morning digging out. Than got called in to work. Tons of people without power. I have the utmost respect for linesmen.

Our official snowfall here in Lancaster County, PA was just 8", but I'd guess it was actually closer to 12". The southern part of the county got 2 feet.

I just got a new Honda snowblower and I was out cleaning my driveway and sidewalk every time it looked like there was 4" or so, and then I got up before 6:00am this morning to finish off the last 6" that came later last evening. Now, I'm taking the snowblower over to my son's house -- you never get enough playtime when you got a new toy!

It's 23 degrees outside right now, and winds and drifting snow are predicted for later today. Right now all our roads are cleared - that's unusual.

I just looked at the weather where we stay in Montana for the summer and it's 42 degrees there right now -- I bet there could be some good midge hatches in weather like that.

John

Last year at this time, we had about 75 inches of snow. It was the heaviest year on record for snowfall. I kept telling myself it's good for the fishies. This year so far we've had only about 2 inches. Hardly anything but rain so far.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-20-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default I'm a Minnesotan, and I love Snow!

I will be celebrating my 61st birthday this coming February, and I have lived with snow for a large portion of my life. When I was young, I made money shoveling sidewalks, I went sledding and tobogganing, made snowmen, and built snow castles for our neighborhood snowball wars. As I grew older, I took up Nordic Skiing (cross country).

I remember winters where the snow would accumulate all winter, until the snow backs along the roadside where higher than the street signs.

Was stationed in Alaska with the 6th Infantry Division (Arctic), winter comes early to Alaska, and stays late. For about 2-3 months there was no sunrise (depending how far north you were. Being Arctic, and Light Infantry, we travel on skis and snowshoes, pulling our own sled full of equipment and supplies. 12 feet of snow between you and the frozen tundra, and you slept inside a double layered Arctic Sleeping Bag, in a snow bank, where the temperature was a + 40? F, while outside the temperature was a -40? F or lower! Most days (nights?) -40? F was the high temperature. Up in Alaska, the future North you go the brighter the Northern Lights become, until they are in Technicolor. We would spend 6 to 8 weeks out in the field, and loved every minute of our outdoor experience.

I love snow, I get out in it as often as I can, it is so beautiful. The night sky is so full of stars, when you get away from civilization. During the winter months the Earth is looking into the Center of the Milky Way, so there are more stars to see, than in the Summer nights when the night sky is looking outward. The air is so crystal clear, and you feel so invigorated from being outside to experience the beauty of winter and snow.

Winter and Snow, go hand in hand, and it is a time to throw another log on the fire, with some hot cocoa, and snuggle down on the sofa with a good book or cuddle with the love of your life, with you loyal and faithful dog laying in front of the fireplace. For some quiet personal time together.

Winter is the time when nature recharges itself, and then in the Spring the trees will sprout leaves, and the birds will return from the Winter homes in the South America or Southern USA. Winter is a chance to recharge your life, and to be retrospective of the previous year, and what you have accomplished, and what needs working. Without snow, the winter would be dull and dreary like black and white movies. With snow, everything is bright and clean, and nobody says anything about the your Crabgrass Infested Lawn! Snow makes the whole outdoors a Winter Wonderful Wonderland!

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-20-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Speel Chex

+ Reply to Thread