+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Targus - Gary Borger Light Touch

Default Targus - Gary Borger Light Touch

I was in the Little Lehigh fly shop a while ago and was able to test cast a Gary Borger Light Touch fly rod. Seemed awful nice and came with 2 tips for about $300. I wasn't really looking for a 3 wt rod, so I didn't get it at the time, but have been thinking about it since. Anyone have one? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AnW View Post
    I was in the Little Lehigh fly shop a while ago and was able to test cast a Gary Borger Light Touch fly rod. Seemed awful nice and came with 2 tips for about $300. I wasn't really looking for a 3 wt rod, so I didn't get it at the time, but have been thinking about it since. Anyone have one? What do you think?
    Nice rod! I had the good fortune to be able to cast the prototype of that rod, as well as the 9' 4wt Professional series rod several years ago. They were both top notch rods, and very well made. Gary wouldn't put his name on anything less.

I don't think you'd make a mistake buying it from Rod - he's good friends with Gary, and you couldn't find a better dealer/mfg relationship to stand behind your purchase.

Did you see the matching reel?

I've known Gary since the 1970's when he taught me how to fly fish. I've also test casted the prototypes of both series of Gary's Targus fly rods. The Professional Series are all 9 ft rods.

The Light Touch rods are green and made in 3, 4, and 5 wts.

Although Gary has previously designed rods for Cabelas and for Thomas and Thomas, these are the first rods that I have bought with my own money. I bought the Pro series in 4 to 9 wt and the Light Touch in 3,4 and 5 wts. These are the rods that I use on Wisconsin smaller trout streams. Gary and I most often use the 8 ft 4 wt on our smaller local waters.

I take the Pro series of fly rods to Montana along with my 10 ft GLoomis GLXs. The Pro series rods will cast 3 wts of line. Get the 9 ft 4 wt and you can fish it with a 4-6 wt lines.

I think both series of rods are a real buy for the money. I preordered the Light Touch rods after I test casted the prototypes.

I took this photo of Gary in his backyard while we were test casting the fly rods.

For those of you who have not see the rods, here are a couple of photos.

Last edited by Silver Creek; 11-02-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Heritage - I did look at the reels as well, also very nice. The combo Rod had set up with the rod, reel, and the Sharkskin line really cast like a dream. I can probably get away with the rod without doing too much penance with the better half, but I'm not sure if I should push it and get the combo or not.

Then again, sounds like a good 40th birthday present to myself, yeah that's the ticket. If she get's too upset I can always try to reason that a new rod and reel is better than a 20 yr old girlfriend to deal with my impending mid life crisis.

Silver Creek- are they made/rolled here in the U.S.?

Cool Sounds like a plan...

I don't think wife could possibly argue with your thinking. Go for it!
    (And you can tell her I said so, I run fast)

Quote Originally Posted by AnW View Post
    Then again, sounds like a good 40th birthday present to myself, yeah that's the ticket. If she get's too upset I can always try to reason that a new rod and reel is better than a 20 yr old girlfriend to deal with my impending mid life crisis.
    Sounds like an impending life-ending disaster to me. I'd explore other avenues. Lottery comes to mind.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread