+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Holston Trip

Default South Holston Trip

I'm looking for some information on fishing the South Holston tailwater such as best time of the year to fish, places to stay, etc. I was speaking to the owner of the South Holston Fly Shop and then began reading about the river and I'm very interested in spending a week or in the new year. Would be glad to meet some fellow FAOLers and wet a line. This is the cheaper of my options for a vacation.
    Bruce

Cool Start here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...scast/rc54.php

Type Holston into the Search feature on the front/main page, you will find more real information.

Default Thanks

Thanks, Ladyfisher. I'll do that. We have members here from TN and I'm hoping they'll chip in some of their expertise.
    Bruce

Blog Entries

There have been some serious episodes of cars being broken into and pillaged in that area. Even car thefts have been bad. Please be very careful. TVA parking lots and out-of-the-way roadsides have been popular with the thieves, who have been quite brazen according to reports.

Ed

Default Should We Attempt the Trip?

Hi Ed. Are you suggesting we shouldn't take a chance on going down to Tennessee
    Bruce

Just take only one rod/reel with you to the river and leave the rest at the hotel. All you need is a 9' 4 or 5wt rod. Or a 6wt if you think you will be chucking big streamers (double bunnies, and big sculpin patterns will root out big Browns on this river). Any time of year can be productive on any given day. Right now, it is pretty much unfishable because of the excess of water in the lake above. TVA is generating and spilling water. May is a good time to come when the lakes around here are stable and at "summer pool" and the generation is minimal and consistant. Also it is the time of the heightened sulpher hatches. CDC comparaduns for dries and pheasant tail softhackles with a touch of orange in the thorax are the ticket for the emerging bugs (most fish will be feeing in or just below the film). Let us know when you will be coming and we (I) will tune you in alittle more.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    On the SouthEast Fly Fishing Forum there was a very great deal of discussion about the problem. The number of stolen cars has lead some to speculate that a crooked auto dealer might be involved. There is some reason to believe that duplicate keys might have been used. The problems are severe enough that _I_ won't go there. I'll leave you to make your own decisions. Perhaps I am too cautious. I am certainly pained to see what teh methheads have done to parts of my home state.

Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    On the SouthEast Fly Fishing Forum there was a very great deal of discussion about the problem. The number of stolen cars has lead some to speculate that a crooked auto dealer might be involved. There is some reason to believe that duplicate keys might have been used. The problems are severe enough that _I_ won't go there. I'll leave you to make your own decisions. Perhaps I am too cautious. I am certainly pained to see what teh methheads have done to parts of my home state. Also note that I haven't seen much about the problem for the last few months. That might also be an issue of beating a dead horse. Some locals will still go up there. I won't, at least until I hear that things are better.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread