+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dead fish fly?????

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question dead fish fly?????

When i have had aquariums and my fish died they would float belly up towards the surface and twitch occasionally.

Anyone tied a fly that imitates this action?

Just wondering

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I do quite often, but it's never on purpose

Jim Smith

I tie one using foam for the belly and use a little bit of weight(about 3-4 turns of .15 lead) at the head. It looks like a clouser, but with doll eyes so that there is not a ton of weight. I usually use it when water is low and clear. It is deadly if fished right.

Eric,

On a more serious note, I do tie a baby bunker style minnow pattern with polar fiber that has been my top producing bass fly for the past 10 years or so. While I tie it in a variety of colors, olive over chartruese over white or all black are my two most productive color patterns. When I retrieve this fly, I use very rapid 18 inch long strips followed by a 2-3 second pause. When I pause the retrieve, the fly slowly sinks towards the bottom. I tie this pattern unweighted for this purpose. I would guess that between 90 - 95% of the strikes occur when the fly is slowly sinking. It looks like an injured or panic stricken fish that is on its last legs (fins) and it is simply too easy a meal to resist. My best day with this pattern was 84 bass and 9 large bream all on the same fly. It was a bit chewed up and missing an eye, but the fish just couldn't leave it alone. While this is not a belly-up dead fish fly, it does represent a dying fish so it's sorta like what you were asking about.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 12-19-2009 at 01:37 PM.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

thanks for the replies and links, I was looking at the tread about fishing the everglades from a yak and this came to mind. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get across the country and find the money to hire a guide for a day or two.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

YUP!

I make a very simple minnow fly;

-I take a long shank hook
    - mylar tubing
    - slip some foam in the tubing
    -slip the hook in
    -tie off ends, leaving enough to make a tail.

It floats on it's side, and smallmouths hammer it .

Have fun, try diffrent combinations!
    chris

Yeah... It's called the "Swimmy Jimmy. It's a Kelly Galloup pattern.

Here is a link to the recipe.

http://www.schmidtoutfitters.com/ind...roduct_ID=1895
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Eric,

On a more serious note, I do tie a baby bunker style minnow pattern with polar fiber that has been my top producing bass fly for the past 10 years or so. While I tie it in a variety of colors, olive over chartruese over white or all black are my two most productive color patterns. When I retrieve this fly, I use very rapid 18 inch long strips followed by a 2-3 second pause. When I pause the retrieve, the fly slowly sinks towards the bottom. I tie this pattern unweighted for this purpose. I would guess that between 90 - 95% of the strikes occur when the fly is slowly sinking. It looks like an injured or panic stricken fish that is on its last legs (fins) and it is simply too easy a meal to resist. My best day with this pattern was 84 bass and 9 large bream all on the same fly. It was a bit chewed up and missing an eye, but the fish just couldn't leave it alone. While this is not a belly-up dead fish fly, it does represent a dying fish so it's sorta like what you were asking about.

Jim Smith
    James how about posting a picture of this fly
    Remember we all live down stream

Like Buddy said, white bass, wipers, stripers,...even bass and catfish will hammer through a school of shad near the surface, and then pick off the dying shad that come sinking back down through the school.

As ice melts off lakes in the north in the Spring, Pike will hammer just about anything that falls through the water below the receding edge of ice. Dead fish that got frozen into the ice during the winter make for an easy meal as they get released. ooooh, YUM!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread