+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elk / Deer hair caddis..??

Default Elk / Deer hair caddis..??

Ok...I read the books ( well look at the pics at least..lol) peruse the internet and watch various DVD's on flytieing these. Some advise SPARSE budding...some put on a ton. Some say to use enough hair to make it float but you should be able to see thru the wing to see the body...others use more.

Im watching a guy tie one on U-tube last night and he had a body fat enough to be mistaken for a small racoon....and the GLOB of elk hair he used could have been used for a shaving brush.

WHATS the scoop here? Im just trying to do it "correctly" and I lean towards what men like AK Best says in his books and videos...???

Normand Guest

Bass_Bug Guest

Sully, I've seen this often myself. If you want to imitate or duplicate a specific pattern then tying proportions as they do should be followed as best you can. However, fly tying, like any other art, there is always a bit of artistic license allowed. If nothing else then for the fact to compensate for a difference in water or fishing conditions (faster or slower water etc). As FAOL member Coughlin once said, "this is my version of a so-and-so pattern" clearly making it known that he admits his differs from the the classic recipe.

Then again some people tie a coon-sized version like you point out and think it looks just like a #12 Adams.

You may also want to check out Part 25 Elk Hair Caddis under Intermediate Fly Tying here on FAOL. The late Al Campbell does an outstanding job of explaining how to tie this fly. At least it works for me.

Good luck

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Sully, I've seen this often myself. If you want to imitate or duplicate a specific pattern then tying proportions as they do should be followed as best you can. However, fly tying, like any other art, there is always a bit of artistic license allowed. If nothing else then for the fact to compensate for a difference in water or fishing conditions (faster or slower water etc). As FAOL member Coughlin once said, "this is my version of a so-and-so pattern" clearly making it known that he admits his differs from the the classic recipe.

Then again some people tie a coon-sized version like you point out and think it looks just like a #12 Adams.
    I think you got it.. I never did like "impressionistic" painters either...I always wanted to see what it REALLY looked like.

Normand: I always had that bookmarked...

Dave..thanks for that tip. I'll check it out

Cold Guest

My rule of thumb has always been faster, more turbulent water = heavier, more impressionistic ties, slower, calmer water = sparser, more realistic designs.

I'd tie some of each, and use the heavier dressings in pocket water, and use the sparse ties in the slow pools.

If you want to "skate" your flies, my sparser ties have done this better than the heavier ones.

8. Default

ya there is definetly a fine balance that goes on. you also might want to take in to consideration what kind of water you'll be fishing. if its one with alot of riffles than you might want to tie the wing in thicker. but with the body i try to keep it pretty tightly dubbed
    hope that helps
    -tyler-

Heed what has already been said. Just 'cuz you can post on youtube doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing with what you post.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread