+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I get a new catalog.....

Default So I get a new catalog.....

Got a new fly fishing catalog in the mail friday...and Im perusing it saturday morning over coffee...and then I realized I couldnt swallow!!!

I come across $700 plus Sage rods.......Renzetti fly vises at MORE than $700....of course the infamous SS flylines at $100....then I paged on to find flyREELS at $600 plus..

Is someone kidding me?

I know they are all the upper crust...HIGH quality products but COME ON now..

We only have one really true flyshop in Cincy anymore, and they have the shelves full of that stuff....but I havent even seen anyone handeling that caliber of equipment...let alone walk out the door with it.

Who's buying this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Got a new fly fishing catalog in the mail friday...and Im perusing it saturday morning over coffee...and then I realized I couldnt swallow!!!

I come across $700 plus Sage rods.......Renzetti fly vises at MORE than $700....of course the infamous SS flylines at $100....then I paged on to find flyREELS at $600 plus..

Is someone kidding me?

I know they are all the upper crust...HIGH quality products but COME ON now..

We only have one really true flyshop in Cincy anymore, and they have the shelves full of that stuff....but I havent even seen anyone handeling that caliber of equipment...let alone walk out the door with it.

Who's buying this stuff?
    rich guys from big cities, thats the only ppl that ive seen with it.

I fish primarily with Sage rods and Abel reels, and tie flies on a Renzetti Master vice, but I haven't gotten to the $100 lines - yet. I also have other items probably considered by some as expensive items, like Simms waders and Patagonia rain jackets.

I've paid full retail for some of these items, and have bought others on sale, on Ebay and elsewhere - always on the lookout for a "deal".

I don't consider myself particularly wealthy, although I do live fairly comfortably, and just like the feel and performance of quality items. Also, considering that a number of my flyfishing item purchases have been spread over a number of years, I don't spend nearly as much per year on these items as I do on some other items that I have related directly/indirectly to flyfishing and outdoor recreation.

John

p.s. I don't live in a big city either. If I did, the expense of living there would surely eat up much of my flyfishing budget!

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    I fish primarily with Sage rods and Abel reels, and tie flies on a Renzetti Master vice, but I haven't gotten to the $100 lines - yet. I also have other items probably considered by some as expensive items, like Simms waders and Patagonia rain jackets.

I've paid full retail for some of these items, and have bought others on sale, on Ebay and elsewhere - always on the lookout for a "deal".

I don't consider myself particularly wealthy, although I do live fairly comfortably, and just like the feel and performance of quality items. Also, considering that a number of my flyfishing item purchases have been spread over a number of years, I don't spend nearly as much per year on these items as I do on some other items that I have related directly/indirectly to flyfishing and outdoor recreation.

John

p.s. I don't live in a big city either. If I did, the expense of living there would surely eat up much of my flyfishing budget!
    I dont mind you having the best things in life John....but when you fly into West Yellowstone in your private JET!...CMON NOW!!...

I fish with Sage rods too. All Z Axis. I only paid full price for my switch rod. One was used and the others were on sale. I fish two orvis rods also. A Trout Bum and a Helious. Same thing, on sale. I'm not rich by any means. I'm a blue collar worker.

Here's how I look at it. I'm married, have no kids and don't live beyond my means. I also dont gamble much, smoke and only drink when out. If I want a rod I save up any OT I work and when I have enough I wait for a sale and buy it. It's all what your passion is. I use the best I can afford.

Do any of you use tools? Do you buy the cheapest or the best? I did small engine work for a while. I always bought Snap on or Mac if I could. I did remodeling part time for 7 yers and bought the best I could in that too. They last the longest and work the best. Plus the lifetime warranty is great too.

Just my .02

TB

Who's buying this stuff?
    I was buying stuff like that. Was until manufacturing died in this country and cost me my job (along with millions of others)
    The way it works for me is that I am able to use the best of things that fit my needs and style perfectly. If I need to I can usually sell the stuff later for what I paid for it, more or less.
    So what the problem then... I get to use the gear I want, with no compromise, for almost free.
    Justification over. I'm happy. That's really all that matters. eh?

I'm a working class (i.e. gross about $40K )guy, nearing retirment. I own three Sage rods and one Winston. It's simply a question of what you want to spend your money on, I know guys that wouldn't dream of spending over $30 on a rod, but don't bat an eye over dropping over a hundred in the tavern.

"I know guys that wouldn't dream of spending over $30 on a rod, but don't bat an eye over dropping over a hundred in the tavern."

I don't think we're talking $50 rods here, 51BC, although I certainly get your point. Today's moderately priced rods- I'm talking about in the $175 to $400 range- are far closer to the high price stuff than in past years. I personally have in my stash (which includes some high price names, bought used) rods that are a perfect fit for me, are a pleasure to fish all day, and are very nicely finished. Less than $250 each, too. I don't begrudge anyone their fine equipment, but there's a huge midrange of fly fishing gear available these days that contains some darn nice stuff.

Chuck

I dont mind you having the best things in life John....but when you fly into West Yellowstone in your private JET!...CMON NOW!!...
    When I go to West Yellowstone, several or so times a year, I always drive my Hummer or my wife's Mercedes. If I flew in my Jet I'd have to rent a car to get around and I don't want to waste money for a rental that I could be spending on flyfishing gear.

(just kidding)

John

Quote Originally Posted by 51BC View Post
    I know guys that wouldn't dream of spending over $30 on a rod, but don't bat an eye over dropping over a hundred in the tavern.
    I know the same people. They also go for 100.00 a week on cigaretts. And another 50 on lottery.

But they think I'm crazy for 700.00 on a rod and 300.00 for a reel. At least a year from now I still have my rod.

TB

+ Reply to Thread