+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying / Materials Database?

Hybrid View

Default Fly Tying / Materials Database?

Is there some site (or software) wherein I can put in a list of the materials I have on hand and get back a list of known patterns I can tie with those materials?

As an example, let's say I have a clump of black marabou, some chenille, wet fly hooks and some black hackle feathers. I would put this list into some form and get an index of the various patterns I could tie using only those materials (so I wouldn't get things that needed rubber legs if I didn't have any).

You would need to use a database and I dont know of any such critter on the internet??

You would have to input each and every item YOU have....and then input each item needed to tie each and every fly. Then when searching...the database would spit out the matches.

Good luck on THAT....

Bass_Bug Guest

Default software

There are several different Fly Tying programs out there, but I'm not sure you'll find want you want.

Here are a few of them:

Fly Tying Inventory Manager http://download.cnet.com/Fly-Tying-I...4_4-19512.html

Super Fly Fishing Machine http://www.erobillard.com/Superfly/

Fly Fishing Assistant http://sportsmansmanager.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    There are several different Fly Tying programs out there, but I'm not sure you'll find want you want.

Here are a few of them:

Fly Tying Inventory Manager http://download.cnet.com/Fly-Tying-I...4_4-19512.html

Super Fly Fishing Machine http://www.erobillard.com/Superfly/

Fly Fishing Assistant http://sportsmansmanager.com/
    I've happened upon some of these, and others, and no they're not quite what I'm looking for. I think they're interesting in and of themselves, though.

There's also the unfortunate (for me) fact that pretty much all of these sorts of things both require Windows (I'm running Linux, at least for now) and don't give you the source code so you can modify things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clough View Post
    I've happened upon some of these, and others, and no they're not quite what I'm looking for. I think they're interesting in and of themselves, though.

There's also the unfortunate (for me) fact that pretty much all of these sorts of things both require Windows (I'm running Linux, at least for now) and don't give you the source code so you can modify things.
    I run a lot of this kind of thing on my Mac using Darwine which is a port of the Linux Wine Project. You should be able to run these programs on Linux by using Wine.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Not near what you are looking for but here is a database that you can search patterns one material at a time:
    http://www.flytyingforum.com/materials

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I run a lot of this kind of thing on my Mac using Darwine which is a port of the Linux Wine Project. You should be able to run these programs on Linux by using Wine.
    Wine has just never been worth it for me. Mostly because their definition of the word "run" doesn't nearly match my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    You would need to use a database and I dont know of any such critter on the internet??

You would have to input each and every item YOU have....and then input each item needed to tie each and every fly. Then when searching...the database would spit out the matches.

Good luck on THAT....
    Yeah, the programming logic for what I want isn't all that sophisticated (I already did a quick mock up), but I really don't want to tackle that kind of data entry project. The whole point of it for me would be as a source of inspiration. "Gee, I don't know what to tie tonight. Let me see what I can make with this stuff."

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clough View Post
    Is there some site (or software) wherein I can put in a list of the materials I have on hand and get back a list of known patterns I can tie with those materials?

As an example, let's say I have a clump of black marabou, some chenille, wet fly hooks and some black hackle feathers. I would put this list into some form and get an index of the various patterns I could tie using only those materials (so I wouldn't get things that needed rubber legs if I didn't have any).

so you would input "grizzly hackle" and then every pattern that uses it?? with just that 1 material, the list would be huge

there must be some kind of software/database out there that will do that kind of sorting.

the website that roy mentions is similar to what you want, but where does that one come from

you might want to look at microsoft access or open office database and see if that would work for you.

a huge project, nonetheless!
    Last edited by Normand; 12-18-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    so you would input "grizzly hackle" and then every pattern that uses it?? with just that 1 material, the list would be huge

there must be some kind of software/database out there that will do that kind of sorting.

the website that roy mentions is similar to what you want, but where does that one come from

you might want to look at microsoft access or open office database and see if that would work for you.

a huge project, nonetheless!
    That's the basic idea, although instead of putting in one material, I could put in a list and the software/site would return a set of patterns that could be tied using only those materials.

As for writing the software, I created a quick and dirty mock up using Common Lisp that would work well enough for my purposes given a few more hours of polish, but I would still need to do insane amount of data entry. I figure in the books I have on my shelf alone there's a 1,000 fly patterns different enough that I'd want them in there. That's a lot of typing.

+ Reply to Thread