+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drift boat repair

Default Drift boat repair

I just bought a Hyde Drift boat from a buddy and need some advice on how to best repair the bottom side rails. There a number of chips and gouges. Some have gone past the paint and into the fiberglass and one core shot to the kevlar. Does anyone have advice as to how to best repair this short of having a new G4 bottom? I heard not to bondo but to fiberglass it. As far as paint, is this something I could do myself...if so what sort of paint should I use. I live in Colorado and driving up to Idaho to have it fixed up is not an option right now.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
    John

It sounds like the scratches don't effect the integrety of the hull. Your best bet would be to get a gelcoat repair kit from West Marine or Defender. The kits come with small tubes of pigment and if you are careful you can get a good match. Some gelcoats will not dry when exposed to air so get the one that does or get some mold release to paint over the repair to keep the air away from it while it cures. If your careful with the application of the gelcoat a little sanding with some 220 with a block then move down to say 1200 grit, polish with some fine rubbing compound and then wax the boat. Once you get the color right the whole job shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 hours. Good luck, Jack

I should have first said that you should find out if the boat is painted or gelcoated. I'm not familiar with Hyde boats. If it is gelcoated follow my former post. If it is painted I would mix up some West System epoxy with micro balloons and fill the holes. Then sand. The previous mentioned vendors sell a great West system repair kit that has all the items you need for this type of repair. Jack

jfishman;
    I see that this is your first post!! Welcome to the best site around!
    Jack S pretty much hit it with his advice.
    The "core shot to the kevlar" may require opening up a larger area to re-glass.
    Repair kits are available for what you want to do. Matching colors is tricky but just remember, "The Fish Don't Care".

jfishman,

If it is a gelcoated boat you might try these people (if link works). They can match hundreds for mfg.'s gelcoat colors and put it in a spray can.
    [url=http://www.minicraft.com:edd58]www.minicraft.com[/url:edd58]

Leo C.

Thanks Jack, Jack and Leo for the responses...very helpful. I did find out that it is in-fact gel coated. I'll contact minicraft and see what they have and may also have to do a couple re-glassing jobs. I wish you all a good fishing season.

John

I'd talk to Hyde before doing anything.

They are great folks to work with and offer advice that is second to none.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

John, If you describe the damage area that penetrated to the kevlar with more detail, size, depth, and if any of the surounding area has become delaminated, I can talk you through the repair. Best Jack

I'll need to take another look at it tonight and will give details tomorrow. Better yet, I could take a picture and post it to this site (if that is posible).
    John

+ Reply to Thread