+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not a rich doctor...but

Hybrid View

Default I'm not a rich doctor...but

When I took early retirement when I was 55 years old, my co-workers gave me a card that they all signed.

The front of the card began "Want to make hundreds of dollars a week for doing absolutely nothing?"

The question was answered when I opened the card.

"Don't quit your job."

I still have the card and smile every time I read it.

Whoever thought up the message on this card was wrong, of course. I may have been paid hundreds of dollars a week, but I had to be there 40 hours a week to collect my paycheck.

And, now that I'm retired I get the richest rewards of all by being able to spend my summer days on Montana's rivers chasing trout, and I don't waste any time in getting them. I'm one rich guy!

John

I always looked at work this way....If it was so much FUN...they wouldnt have to PAY PEOPLE to do it!

Its kinda like "chores" around the house.....Im sure than on my death bed I'll whisper to my wife that " I sure wish I'd have mowed the front yard one more time"........

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I always looked at work this way....If it was so much FUN...they wouldnt have to PAY PEOPLE to do it!

Its kinda like "chores" around the house.....Im sure than on my death bed I'll whisper to my wife that " I sure wish I'd have mowed the front yard one more time"........
    Well, it really wonders me, as we say here in PA Dutch country, that so many people pay $500 or so per day for a guide to take them fishing. Just being out on the river is so much fun that's my pay for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Well, it really wonders me, as we say here in PA Dutch country, that so many people pay $500 or so per day for a guide to take them fishing. Just being out on the river is so much fun that's my pay for doing it.
    Amen to that.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Its the same as when some one hires a "white hunter" when going to a totally new and different location to hunt "big game". When in totally unfamiliar territory, with a somewhat limited time allowed, a person wants the trip to be as pleasurable as it can be.

We dont use any "guide" when fishing local waters...mainly because I at least ( not my wife) grew up here and have spent more than 50 years wandering up and down the banks of the local streams...but water such as the Snake river ( this next trip) is as unfamiliar to me at least as maybe my property here at home might be to you.
    Of course I can ask locally...and I do..but having either first hand knowledge or having someone with you that has first hand knowledge of the waters is EXTREMELY helpful.

If you came to my area lets say pheasant hunting, again with a limited amount of time, would you know the area(s) to hunt in? And yes, even out in the fields especially with your trusty bird dog at hand is pleasurable, maybe...just maybe the same situation AND bagging your limit might make it even moreso...??

And, now that I'm retired I get the richest rewards of all by being able to spend my summer days on Montana's rivers chasing trout, and I don't waste any time in getting them. I'm one rich guy!

It appears that you spend sufficient time to learn the waters "out west" that at this point I cannot spend. My wife still works and has a finite amount of time she is allowed vacation...so while she works I stay home. She is "close" to retirement and when she does THEN we will spend a lot more time in the west from southern AZ all the war to MT....one reason why we purchased the motorhome we have. Its a "rolling condo" for us and allows us travel and freedoms that otherwise we couldnt have.
    Last edited by Sully; 12-17-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    It appears that you spend sufficient time to learn the waters "out west" that at this point I cannot spend. My wife still works and has a finite amount of time she is allowed vacation...so while she works I stay home. She is "close" to retirement and when she does THEN we will spend a lot more time in the west from southern AZ all the war to MT....one reason why we purchased the motorhome we have. Its a "rolling condo" for us and allows us travel and freedoms that otherwise we couldnt have.
    I made my first fishing trip west of 3 weeks in 1997, followed by anywhere from a few days to several weeks in most years until I retired in 2001. I had considered purchasing some property or a home somewhere in the northwest, but I really liked too many different places to get tied to just one. So, for several years after I retired my wife and I purchased a series of travel trailers and traversed the northwest US and Canada, going as far west as Vancouver Island, and north to the mainland British Columbia. After doing this for 3-4 years, we settled in one very nice RV Park, right on the Yellowstone River 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park.

We store our 40' 5th wheel, my driftboat, and other assorted goodies near Bozeman over the winter, and when we set up on our permanent RV site in the spring, I've got rising trout to fish for not more than 15' away, or we can make day trips to more good fishing places than a person could thoroughly fish in a hundred lifetimes.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your RV travels after your wife retires - one thing I found though was that it took me a couple years after I retired to actually slow down and realize that I wasn't on vacation where I had to hurry from daylight til dark in order to get everything done in a single day.

How I now feel, however, related to what you said about having sufficient time to learn the waters is if I don't learn the water today, I'll have the time to come back to try again tomorrow!

John

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work...
    I believe I can fly fish

Amen, Martin !

Default I have been retired since 2004

I have been retired for 5 years now, retired when I turned 55 years old. Worked hard all my life, and 55 is not middle age. Ask yourself, how many people you know that are 110 years old.......

You look at early history, not too many folks lived past 35 years. As civilization improved with more labor saving inventions, and medical discoveries for disease, and illnesses, the life span increased.

In the 1930's when Social Security was started, 65 years was Old, Really Old,
    My Great Grandfather was born in 1861, and died in 1918, at the age of 57. My Grandfather was born in 1890, and died in 1951 at the age of 61. My father was born in 1918, and died in 1996 at the age of 78. We are on average living longer, but not everyone. Reading the newspaper, I see the announcement of who had died, and I notice that there is still a large gap in the age groups of people dying. So many died young as children, then there is a large gap with a large number of young adults. Later there are the folks that are in their prime (50-59) dying..... and so it continues.

I think how long you have has to do with what dangerous activities you are doing, and also who your ancestors are, and the DNA code that made you, and somewhat about how as you live your DNA become altered by every disease and virus that you have been infected.

So retire when you have done everything you need to do for raising a family, and paying off the house and car. Then retire and do something that you want and when you want. Get out of the Fast Lane, and slow down and start enjoying the things that your job and family commitments filled all the time you spent for over 30 to 40 years of you life. Now it is your time to enjoy the so called "Golden Years" before your warranty expires, or you get recalled by the Home Office!

My retirement is going fishing when the air and water temperature is just right, spend time just being out in the backyard in my chair reading, napping, or even tying flies or furled tapered leaders. When the urge strikes, I write an article, when I have an inspiration, or something worth sharing. I have time to play with my grandson, or help out in the neighborhood. I do what I want, when I want, and if I do not feel like doing anything (I don't)!

As in the movie "Forest Gump" Gump said it right, " eat when I am hungry, I sleep when I am tired, and when I have to go....well I go! Life is like a Box of Chocolates, you never know what you are going to get, until you bite into one!

Did I mention the Senior Citizen Discounts?

I must have been scowling at work the other day because my boss came up to me and asked if I was having fun. My answer to him was "No, this is work." Fun is spelled different; F-U-N. Work is a 4 letter word. I don't think he saw the humor in it but he did bring a 7 pound standing rib roast by our house yesterday. I do think however, that I should curb my use of smart alec answers to his questions.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread