Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
It appears that you spend sufficient time to learn the waters "out west" that at this point I cannot spend. My wife still works and has a finite amount of time she is allowed vacation...so while she works I stay home. She is "close" to retirement and when she does THEN we will spend a lot more time in the west from southern AZ all the war to MT....one reason why we purchased the motorhome we have. Its a "rolling condo" for us and allows us travel and freedoms that otherwise we couldnt have.
I made my first fishing trip west of 3 weeks in 1997, followed by anywhere from a few days to several weeks in most years until I retired in 2001. I had considered purchasing some property or a home somewhere in the northwest, but I really liked too many different places to get tied to just one. So, for several years after I retired my wife and I purchased a series of travel trailers and traversed the northwest US and Canada, going as far west as Vancouver Island, and north to the mainland British Columbia. After doing this for 3-4 years, we settled in one very nice RV Park, right on the Yellowstone River 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park.

We store our 40' 5th wheel, my driftboat, and other assorted goodies near Bozeman over the winter, and when we set up on our permanent RV site in the spring, I've got rising trout to fish for not more than 15' away, or we can make day trips to more good fishing places than a person could thoroughly fish in a hundred lifetimes.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your RV travels after your wife retires - one thing I found though was that it took me a couple years after I retired to actually slow down and realize that I wasn't on vacation where I had to hurry from daylight til dark in order to get everything done in a single day.

How I now feel, however, related to what you said about having sufficient time to learn the waters is if I don't learn the water today, I'll have the time to come back to try again tomorrow!

John