+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Christmas gift for a friend

Default Christmas gift for a friend

I guess I must be Santa this year because this is another rod I built for a good friend for Christmas. This one is a 9' 4wt 2pc American tackle classic series blank with new style Amtack "braided" reel seat, wood accent RHW grip, dark green wraps(no CP) and metallic silver trim.

Steve

I like these blanks almost as much as the tiger eye. I have to say this is a basic build that looks anything but basic. Very nice rod and I am sure the receiver of this gift will be excited. More importantly he or she is getting a rod that will last a lifetime and preform much better then any factory rod. Once again very nice build

Steve, I'd sure like to be your friend! Nice job, thanks for sharing. Do you do those handles with the wood fore and aft as custom or is there a source for those somewhere? Also, where are those reel seats available?

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

kelly - mudhole carries them in a handful of varieties w/ matching reel seats. I forget the manufacturer and think I threw out my catalog.

Kelly they are both American Tackle. The seat is their latest style called "Braided" window seat.

Steve,

That is my favorite rod of yours that you have posted so far. It kind of reminds me of a "super muscle car" the classic good looks but with new leather seats and a fuel injected motor.

If it fishes anything like it looks it should be kept in a safe when not being fished.

Do you cast these rods before you deliver them? How many rods have you tested and just couldn't let go? I don't want to know how this one cast because right now its perfect and I'm still looking.
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 12-17-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: ops
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

All right tell me now....its perfect .....right? I knew it.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Do you cast these rods before you deliver them? How many rods have you tested and just couldn't let go? I don't want to know how this one cast because right now its perfect and I'm still looking.
    I really like the action of this blank a lot. Its the classic series Amtak blank and it's just about the perfect combination of crispness without being overly fast.

Yep I test cast each rod I build. Don't really know why I do anymore because I've tested about every blank out there it seems, but I just like to put a bend in the rods before they go out the door so I know they are ready to fish. There's been a few rods I wouldn;t have minded keeping that's for sure. One that comes right to mind was a Cattanach taper cane rod I did for a guy back in the summer. He wanted dark green wraps with mint green trim and when I head those colors I thought YUCK!. Funny thing was after I got it wrapped and finished I absolutly felll in love with that color combination on that blonde colored cane blank and would have kept that rod in a heartbeat

Steve

Another really nice rod Steve.

TB

+ Reply to Thread