+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on the newer fly rods....

Hybrid View

Default Question on the newer fly rods....

I have been thinking and I know that is dangerous, but, I have a question about the latest fly rods I see coming out and I need those "in the know" on fly rods to help me out.

I have been looking at 6wt rods for some smallmouth exploring that I intend to do this coming year. Understand that I do not like to use a rod that is heavy "in the hand". It just takes the enjoyment out of my fishing, but, I also know that a smaller than a 6wt rod would not be enough rod although it would be lighter and more fun. I also would love for the rod to be shorter than 9' but that may be out of the question. I was looking around on the internet doing research on this and found a company, I will not mention the name so that no "turf" wars start, that is selling a 9' 6wt rod in a 2 piece and please understand that I do like 2 piece rods over all others. This company states that this 6wt 9' rod weighs 2.7oz! Now that really stirs my interest!

Now for my question: Most people who are going after larger fish will purchase a rod that is 6wt or larger and will put a bigger reel on it so that they can have more backing in case the larger fish decides to leave the country. This I understand, but, a larger reel will also be heavier than your "normal" trout reel and I am wondering if all the fly rod companies keep making lighter rods, won't the larger and heavier reels throw the balance of this system off and make fishing with these outfits all day a real pain?

If you check out the latest rods coming out, most are trying to get lighter and lighter and it just seems to me that putting a large arbor heavier reel on them would create a problem. What is everyone's opinions on this? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your thoughts....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I was just having this discussion last night with a buddy and we were of the same opinion.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Now for my question: Most people who are going after larger fish will purchase a rod that is 6wt or larger and will put a bigger reel on it so that they can have more backing in case the larger fish decides to leave the country. This I understand, but, a larger reel will also be heavier than your "normal" trout reel and I am wondering if all the fly rod companies keep making lighter rods, won't the larger and heavier reels throw the balance of this system off and make fishing with these outfits all day a real pain?

If you check out the latest rods coming out, most are trying to get lighter and lighter and it just seems to me that putting a large arbor heavier reel on them would create a problem. What is everyone's opinions on this? Am I missing something?

Rods are definitely lighter now, and in general, many of the large arbor reels are lighter than the older reels. I too am a fanatic about fishing with a balanced rod/reel combo. I sugggest you find a rod you really like and buy a reel that balances out your rig. You may even own such a reel. Good luck on your search.

Normand Guest

dont forget to add some line and backing to the reel. having some line out the tip top also helps

Bass_Bug Guest

I use 6 and two 8 wt's for most of my fishing. You don't put a larger reel on just for (more) backing, an 8wt line is considerably bigger than a 4wt.

If you're buying a 6wt rod for smallies, why would you want to use a small trout reel in the first place? Most reels are generally sold as 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 wt etc. to be proportionate to the the corresponding rod right?

If you're looking for a new reel, choose the brand and model you like then buy the appropriate size reel for the line you intend to put on on. It's fairly safe to say that bass will not take you to the backing.

Warren,

Lighter is always better.

I've been bass fishing with a fly rod for a long time now.

I've never had any bass even get close to putting me on the reel, much less into the backing. Maybe some day, if I can break the 15 pound mark, maybe (but I doubt it).

Bass aren't runners, so for me, all the reel does is hold the line. I fight the fish with my fingers on the line. So, I use the lightest reel I can find. These are invaribly cheap graphite reels that weigh much less than their metal counterparts. None of my bass reels cost more than $40, and many were under $20.

Up to you, of course.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Lighter is always better......

I've never had any bass even get close to putting me on the reel, much less into the backing. Maybe some day, if I can break the 15 pound mark, maybe (but I doubt it).

Bass aren't runners, so for me, all the reel does is hold the line. I fight the fish with my fingers on the line. So, I use the lightest reel I can find. These are invaribly cheap graphite reels that weigh much less than their metal counterparts. None of my bass reels cost more than $40, and many were under $20.
    Id certainly agree with that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I have been thinking and I know that is dangerous, but, I have a question about the latest fly rods I see coming out and I need those "in the know" on fly rods to help me out.

I have been looking at 6wt rods for some smallmouth exploring that I intend to do this coming year. Understand that I do not like to use a rod that is heavy "in the hand". It just takes the enjoyment out of my fishing, but, I also know that a smaller than a 6wt rod would not be enough rod although it would be lighter and more fun. I also would love for the rod to be shorter than 9' but that may be out of the question. I was looking around on the internet doing research on this and found a company, I will not mention the name so that no "turf" wars start, that is selling a 9' 6wt rod in a 2 piece and please understand that I do like 2 piece rods over all others. This company states that this 6wt 9' rod weighs 2.7oz! Now that really stirs my interest!

Physical weight and "in the hand weight" are two different things. That is if you mean casting balance sort of thing. You will never "see" the differences of a rod blank that weighs say 2.7 ounces and one that weighs again...say 3 1/2 ounces. Its the "balance" ( or lack thereof) is what causes your "arm" to get tired. Try picking up a 2 X 4 in the middle...then try it again picking it up from the very end...see the difference?

As far as "line weights" goes...I do 99% of my fishing with a 5 weight rod(s) of various "power". Bass rods have LOTS of backbone and with it corresponding hook setting power. It takes sharp hooks and plenty of "grunt" to dive a hook into the maxillary plate on a fish like a bass...whereas with trout being "lip hooked" the same "grunt" can easily pull a fine wire fly right thru the lip and the fish is lost.

Not knowing the stream SIZE you intend on fishing I can only comment about the local streams and if yours are similar to mine then an 8 1/2 ft rod / 6 wgt will do you fine. Getting the balance will be the tough part and you may have to borrow some reels ( if yours dont "work" ) with line and backing to get the combo "balanced". But remember if the blank doesnt have "setting power" it isnt going to work anyway.

Check out the Redington Predator.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Check out the Redington Predator.
    Beat me to it! They have a short 6 weight.

On the reel question, as had been stated, balance is far more important than weight. My 6 weight is tip heavy, it was an easy fix, put a heavier reel on. The reel I am running on that particular rod weighs a shade over 6 oz. Almost 2oz heavier than the reel I use on my 7 weight. I had planned to use the same reel for both rods with a spare spool, the reel on the 7 was just too light and made the 6 feel like an anchor in the hand. With the heavier reel, the rod fishes and casts like a dream.

+ Reply to Thread