Didn't know where to post this one, but hoped my buds here on FAOL would shove me in the right direction. I have an old style meat grinder. Manual crank, heavy duty monster. For size it says 32 on the side vs one of those little grinders.

My real question is how to rust proof it while having it food safe. It it were a firearm, I would put RIG on it or Rust inhibiting Grease. Last time I stored it I thought that vegetable oil would be the trick - OH was I WRONG. The vegetable oil just evaporated down to the consistancy of tar and it took quite a while to clean the thing up. I actually thought of pure silicone and thought that might be food safe. I have a spay can for the bench rest leather bag to make the rifle slide in the bag with some consistency. Bench rest boys are a strange bunch but upon reading the label on the can it didn't say anything about food applications again.

So somebody tell me what to use to rustproof metal that won't kill you when you eat it or make me glow in the dark.

Thanks,

Rick