+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Biting in January?

Hybrid View

Smile What's Biting in January?

Hi folks,
    I have a week long conference in Orlando mid january and am wondering what is biting in the Mosquito Lagoon - Titusville area at that time of year. Don't mind fishing a canal or two just want to catch a fish or two.

I'm jealous! Where I am, about the best thing biting in January is....FROST.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Smile January in Orlando

Happy New Year folks!
    A couple of weeksago, I asked what was biting in Orlando -Mosquito Lagoon area in mid January and no one responded. I am scheduled to leave for Fla in about 9 days and still do not know if it is useless to try fishing at this time of year. A friend told me that the temps are a high of 65 and lows of 38 degrees as of this morning. I am not familiar enough with Fla. to know if two weeks can make a difference in what weather/water temps can be. I am beginning to doubt that the pool at the Disney Contemporary Hotel will even be open.

Does anyone know if most fishing is done in the canals or lakes instead of the Indian River system at this time of year? What fish if any are usually caught in January? Thanks for any answers you are able to provide.

Default Fishin

I'll give this a shot.
    First, being in the Orlando area, you will be closest to freshwater, maybe even across the street in a pond by wherever you are staying. They hold bass and bluegill and are lots of fun on 5wt or 6wt. I would use sinking flies as with the cold( at least it's cold to us down here,LOL) the fish will usually be in deeper water. You can get by with a floating line, which is what I use all year round. You will be close to Lakes Toho, both East and West, Kissimmee and not too far from a lot of lakes in the immediate area. The only catch is you will most likely need a boat to fish these lakes.
    As far as saltwater goes, there is always the Mosquito Lagoon with Redfish and Trout, and the Indian and Banana rivers are both wadeable in many spots. The trout have been in the light colored sand holes in the grass later in the day trying to warm up after the cold nights, but the reds aren't as affected by the cold as the trout, and they have been biting small Seaducers, but they are also on the spooky side, but by wading, you can get pretty close. I use a kayak in the areas I fish here, more to get where I want to go fish, than to fish out of. Make sure you have a good pair of polarized sunglasses to see the fish, and I usually go later in the day when the sun is up so I can see the fish better.
    Also, stop by Orlando Outfitters, great folks that can give you the latest info on where you can go in the Orlando area.
    Hope this helps!

The weather!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

The Fort Myers weather forecasters tonight say there's going to be a record breaking 5 days in a row of overnight temps in the 30's with strong northerly winds resulting in days of maybe lower 60's temps. Might warm up by the time you get to thaw out in Orlando, but there's about a 10 degree difference between there & here; so the fish are going to be there....getting out on the water & getting them to bite will be the adventure; mostly according to which way the winds blow, but a few days of upper 70's & sunshine does tend to get the bikinis back on the beaches & boats quickly !

I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default weather

Hope it warms up before you get down here. Gonna be in the low 30's here on the coast for the next few days. The fishing will be SLOW!

9. Default

So far the wind has been biting more than anything else...

Blog Entries

I'd plan to stick with freshwater fishing.

Saltwater fish not doing well because of the cold: http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.co...-on-snook.html
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread