+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got to buy a new stove!

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Angry Got to buy a new stove!

Well that old Magic Chef ain't so magical anymore! Gas and propane are way too expensive in our area so we will stick with the electric.

Looks like I am off to Home Depot. Amy picked it out already. She said "I want that one" and I said the wisest thing a man can say when those words are spoken by woman. I said "Yes Ma'am!".

The good news is free delivery and disposal of the old unit. I got a new deep freezer from them earlier this year; Mom got a new dryer last week saved about $65 on delivery and disposal cost.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Speaking as a restaurant chef, I wouldn't give you a nickle for an electric stove.

There's the equivalent of 27 kilowatt hours in a gallon of propane.
    The price of electricity in PA is around the national average.... $.12 per kWh ( check your bill )
    27 X .12 = $ 3.24
    The price of propane in PA for the week of 12/7/09 ....$2.956

just sayin'
    Last edited by dudley; 12-16-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hey Dudley,
    Nobody likes a smartass.

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey Dudley,
    Nobody likes a smartass.

Mark
    We don't like each other in here?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Dudley is right on this one a gas stove is cheaper to use then electric. I bought a duel fuel, best of both worlds. gas cook top and an electric convection oven.

nighthawk Guest

If I want to cook with propane it is done, quite frequently, out doors on the Char-Broil gas grill. It is a big one and more than up to the tasks at hand for a small family.

If want to do a turkey I use my Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less turkey or large pieces of meat fryer outdoors or the electric GE roaster oven indoors.

Not being a smartaleck but in our area, where you do not live, natural gas is almost nonexistent and LPG is very expensive. We live in a very rural county not the metropolitan areas of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Erie and Scranton where those average prices are lower.

I use a bread machine to bake my breads so basically all her oven will be used for is some light baking needs.

Here is the ultimate determining factor:

She wants electric so she will get electric! You guys don't have to live with her. I do.

By the way one of the several occupations I have had in my short life was as a restaurant manager so I am not a total newbie when it comes to knowing what type of cooking device is best. In a perfect world gas-electric convection is the way to go and it isn't going to happen in her house at this time.

I appreciate the advice but it is for naught. I really was just posting to vent some frustrattion. Should have just kept it to myself.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    The good news is free delivery and disposal of the old unit. I got a new deep freezer from them earlier this year; Mom got a new dryer last week saved about $65 on delivery and disposal cost.
    6 months deferred payments, no interest and no finance charges too if I want to go that route.

Blog Entries

Installed an induction burner for friends a while back... Had to run a relatively small 240V line from the panel to two sites the burner will be used. It is so far beyond amazing there are no words...

This is just the first site that Google dug up... There are many. http://theinductionsite.com/

Anyway, the pot must be magnetic, though even stainless steel is magnetic enough to work. The cook top stays cold but the pan or pot heats so fast it is unreal. Commercial units like the one I installed (about $2,000 delivered in AK retail) will literally boil a cup of water from cold to boiling in 8 seconds! The energy used is far less than a typical resistance burner and it does not stay on for anything like as much time.

The friend wears out woks and is always trying to get them hotter... Not anymore!
    art

I'm with ya Eric. My first choice is gas or propane, but electric will always work. Biggest thing for me is to make absolutely sure that puppy is level. I hate cooking eggs on one side of the pan. I have fits when the cooking oil puddles to one side.
    Nice to have something to bellyache about isn't it?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread