+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fly swap postage

Normand Guest

Default fly swap postage

heres a little something to remember about fly swap postage

those old stamps you you bought 10-15 years ago and recently found in the back of the drawer is only worth what you paid for them 10-15 years ago!

the swapmeister has to pay additional postage to return your swap flies!

i'm currently in a giving mood and i am not asking to be reimbursed for any postage.

i also dont know why my post masters rates to return your swap flies are different than your post masters rates when you had the weighed at the post office

ok rant is over and happy holidays to all swappers!

Blog Entries

I have never had this happen when hosting a swap, If it happened with more than one swaper in a swap I would question the scale at the post office

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Bass_Bug Guest

Good points Norm!

I was told by a clerk at the post office several years ago when mailing off swap flies that P.O. issued meter tapes are only good from the issuing P.O.

Old postage is fine (those $.32 stamps are still worth $.32) if you know the total dollar amount needed and can just attach enough stamps until you reach or exceed whats needed, but if you know a package weighs x-amount of ounces, don't add x-amount of old stamps (1 per ounce) thinking first class is first class. THAT'S where you'll get postage due.

When I ship, I put my box of flies to be sent in the self addressed return envelope but dont seat it. I have that weighed at the P.O. and ask them to add an extra first class stamp to that total and buy that much postage(in stamps). I paper clip that postage on my unsealed return envelope, insert into a larger envelope, seal, weigh and ship. Any unused postage the Meister can keep.

[QUOTE=Bass_Bug;334384]I was told by a clerk at the post office several years ago when mailing off swap flies that P.O. issued meter tapes are only good from the issuing P.O.
    QUOTE]

They are also dated and only good for the day printed. In short - It is not wise to pay for metered postage on the return envelope...Its a waste of your money & the swapmeister will have to pay postage back anyway.

BP
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

The date thing may only be for PO tapes. Business postage machines are dated, but they are not limited to only good on that date. The issuing PO name on the meter stamp is the biggest part. If you're sending to and from in the same city, it's not an issue at all.

Blog Entries

I wonder about something like postage from Stamps.com.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Truthfully when I was doing swaps I probably irritated a few meisters because I wouldn't put stamps in the envelope for return. I'd have my package weighed and then I'd double whatever it was, usually no more than $4 bucks and put 4 singles in the evelope, with the note use what you need and if any others are short use it on them. Or whatever!!!!!!!!

Most are having the packages weighed anyways so it's that much easier!!!!!

Just my 2 cents

Fatman

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I wonder about something like postage from Stamps.com.
    it says you pay $15.99 per month. thats a lot of money for the 4-6 stamps i use per month

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    it says you pay $15.99 per month. thats a lot of money for the 4-6 stamps i use per month
    True, but I do a lot of Priority Mail as well. It's the only reasonable way to ship most stuff these days.

I think I'll look into it a bit more to see if it's worth it for me.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Normand Guest

for a small business it might be worth it

+ Reply to Thread