As I'm putting together a list of materials to pick up after the holidays, I'm examining the various options when it comes to buying saddles and capes. Mainly, this would be for dry fly hackles in sizes ranging from 12 to 18, tips for upright wings and whatnot. So, I have some questions.

Up until now, I've been tying with Whiting 100s which are really limiting (one size) and expensive (average of $18 per package). I mention this so you have an idea of where I'm coming from.

I know that there are different grades likes Gold, Silver and Bronze and that the better grades give you more sizes and higher quality. Unfortunately, these are relative measures that I have no real comparison for. If I picked up a bronze saddle and compared it to someone's silver saddle, how upset would I be? Is it worth the price difference for a beginning tyer who's only filling his own fly boxes to go silver?

Similarly, I know that I can purchase saddles/capes in full, half and quarters. I'm planning on picking up half saddles due to the price, but I'm uncertain how many flies that's going to let me tie and how much variety I might be sacrificing. Should I just go with fulls?

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I understand the differences between saddles and capes, but I'd really like someone here to explain it more fully.

Thanks for any help!